Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 12, 2017   #1
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Default When to start seeds?

I've been a member for a few months but it's been too cold Here in Toronto to have much to say about my Tomatoes. I have perhaps 15 varieties, the seeds for most were passed down to me from my father. (They're very important to me to say the least) I've been growing some great tomatoes for several years now and have had some real success.

I've always started my seeds on a window sill in the house however, last fall I decided to buy a little temporary greenhouse for this purpose.

My question is - How long before last frost would you all generally recommend starting my tomato seeds?

I have space to start maybe 300 plants. I'll be heating it and managing it using a temp controller...So would also like to know the ideal temp to keep the greenhouse if anyone knows...(I'm betting someone here does)

Our last frost date of record is May 9th but the last 15 years this has been creeping up so I need to start considering this.

All advice much appreciated....

Toronto - Zone 6

Growing: Tomatoes, Cucuzzi, Figs, Peppers, Lemon, Olive

Seeking: Worlds most delicious tomato
TorontoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoJoe View Post
I've been a member for a few months but it's been too cold Here in Toronto to have much to say about my Tomatoes. I have perhaps 15 varieties, the seeds for most were passed down to me from my father. (They're very important to me to say the least) I've been growing some great tomatoes for several years now and have had some real success.

I've always started my seeds on a window sill in the house however, last fall I decided to buy a little temporary greenhouse for this purpose.

My question is - How long before last frost would you all generally recommend starting my tomato seeds?

I have space to start maybe 300 plants. I'll be heating it and managing it using a temp controller...So would also like to know the ideal temp to keep the greenhouse if anyone knows...(I'm betting someone here does)

Our last frost date of record is May 9th but the last 15 years this has been creeping up so I need to start considering this.

All advice much appreciated....
Sow your seeds now ... you have 8 weeks until the 13th of May (a weekend). Get'er Done!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #3
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Sow your seeds now ... you have 8 weeks until the 13th of May (a weekend). Get'er Done!
Really?

It's currently -10C (10F) outside. It was near 20C in late February but we got this crazy cold snap and one of those situation where being outside at all just causes me to curse...

I suppose I could seed the trays in my basement and bring them out in 2 weeks when things have to be a bit warmer????

Hmmm. You have me thinking now...I've always had success starting with leggy seedlings and planting them deep to get lots of roots... I may need to plan for next weekend...

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 12, 2017   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My last frost date is about the same as yours, but I won't plant out before Memorial Day Weekend (Memorial Day falls on the last Monday in May). If I weren't grafting, I would be starting my seeds closer towards the end of March.

I start with my plant out date and count backwards about 10 weeks (12 if I'm getting antsy...).
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #5
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

12 weeks! You're brave. I planted my cucuzza too early last year and had 4' plants growing out of a beer cup...

Well, I guess next week is getting towards end of March so I need to get my #&*@! in order this week....

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 12, 2017   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
12 weeks! You're brave. I planted my cucuzza too early last year and had 4' plants growing out of a beer cup...

Well, I guess next week is getting towards end of March so I need to get my #&*@! in order this week....

The 10-12 weeks is just for tomatoes. Zucchini and cucumbers will wait until the last half of April, and will go out to the garden about a week after the tomatoes, so about six weeks for them or like you say, they turn into monsters!

Peppers and eggplant will be started on Tuesday since we'll be having a blizzard and I won't be going to the office that day. They will go out about the same time as the zukes and cukes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #7
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Really?

It's currently -10C (10F) outside. It was near 20C in late February but we got this crazy cold snap and one of those situation where being outside at all just causes me to curse...

I suppose I could seed the trays in my basement and bring them out in 2 weeks when things have to be a bit warmer????

Hmmm. You have me thinking now...I've always had success starting with leggy seedlings and planting them deep to get lots of roots... I may need to plan for next weekend...
It's March 12th ... your seeds will come up between March 16th-22nd depending (let's say the 18th on average) .... your last frost date as you said is May 9th. A May 13th, Saturday plant date would be about 8 weeks ... you should be on top of that. Stat! What are you waiting for??? So what, we are getting 2 feet of snow on Tuesday and the temps are 8F outside ... the plants don't care about that ... they want the future temps.
Old March 12, 2017   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Zucchini and cucumbers will wait until the last half of April, and will go out to the garden about a week after the tomatoes, so about six weeks for them or like you say, they turn into monsters!
I usually just direct sow the cucumbers 1st week of June, because they take over everything and I get overrun. This year I will sow 4 weeks early indoors 1/2 the plants, and then direct sow mid June ... I'll still get over run by them, but it will be constant for longer instead of a 2 week period of dealing with way too many cucs.
Old March 12, 2017   #9
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Of course you're right. Looks like I'm dropping seeds in this week. Thank goodness I have lots of mix left from rooting cuttings over the winter.

No more waiting. Seeds I be sowing

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 12, 2017   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

first day of spring March 21. that is the day
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #11
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

What does everyone like for germination temperature?

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 12, 2017   #12
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
The 10-12 weeks is just for tomatoes. Zucchini and cucumbers will wait until the last half of April, and will go out to the garden about a week after the tomatoes, so about six weeks for them or like you say, they turn into monsters!

Peppers and eggplant will be started on Tuesday since we'll be having a blizzard and I won't be going to the office that day. They will go out about the same time as the zukes and cukes.
Cucuzza (like a Sicilian) is a bit funny. It's slow to start but when it takes off... Mamma Mia! It goes. You need staggered starts to time it right. My best vine last year grew more than a foot a day and probably 50 fruit.. some topping 9'. This is my record year(I hope)

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 12, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
What does everyone like for germination temperature?
I have found that between 70 and 80F works really well for tomatoes. Volunteer tomatoes will germinate between 65 and 90F here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #14
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Appreciate the advice all!

Toronto - Zone 6

Old March 13, 2017   #15
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I try to start them about 6 weeks before I think I plant them out. Depends on the size of the pots they stay in, if big, you can start earlier.
Last frost date seems odd to me, here it's also supposed to be in may, but in may it's sometimes 85F. And it matters a lot what temperature the soil has. If it's cold but no frost is still useless, they won't grow.
Right now seems a good time for you to start I think.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote