Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2017   #181
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the RV is parked into the wind because it's the only place to park it in our small yard so that was just by fate. There is wide open acres behind our house without trees, just grass for the church yard. Surprised the wind only took the fences around our yard. It's still amazing out there.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 27, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #182
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Still need a generator or two, no services for weeks out there. My neighbor says all the power is out in our town. All poles are down and in the roads. One for an a/c and one for refrigerator and freezer would be good.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #183
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Still need a generator or two, no services for weeks out there. My neighbor says all the power is out in our town. All poles are down and in the roads. One for an a/c and one for refrigerator and freezer would be good.
Generators are measured in watts you need to do some math.
Or cheat like me.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...noxiX3POx8AgkQ
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #184
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

The city updated their website, no water or wastewater anymore so that means all services are out now. I bet they are working on that and had to shut down access to it, at least I hope that is what they are doing.

Public Notice
Hurricane Harvey
August 27, 2017
9:00 a.m.
Current notice from the National Weather Service (NWS) indicates the Harvey has downsized to a Tropical Storm. The NWS anticipates this storm drifting back towards Ingleside area with high winds and more rain. We expect to receive up to an additional 15 inches of rain in Ingleside as it comes back into our area.
At this point there are NO electricity, water, wastewater, phone, gas, or internet services to the Ingleside area; however, the State Troopers and National Guard are allowing residents with proper photo ID back into the area. This is “Enter at your own risk” due to no utility services. Bottled water and food is being trucked in. It is our understanding that Highway 37 is clear to get back in the area, but all travel is at your own risk.
Please check this website for regular updates. Please be patient with calling our phone lines. We will notify you via these notices on our media sources as services are returned to order. In the meantime, our staff are attempting to answer the calls as much as possible. Those of us outside the area are traveling today (Sunday), trying to get closer to Ingleside. When we get another call center set up, we will post the numbers on this website again. Again, please be patient with us, we are trying to assist a lot of people.
At this time there are no fatalities and no injuries. If you know of someone needing urgent medical assistance, please let us know their name/address/any medical concerns so we can check on them. We will not be able to provide you responses, but we can provide this information to the local authorities to check on them for any medical needs.
IISD Superintendent Troy Mircovich stated he will not consider opening the School until after power has been restored and the campuses have been secured. Please monitor the school districts Website and Facebook page.
We will continue to provide updates as we can from this same media source. Please check back with us often.
At this time we do not have a scheduled update. We are attempting to set up another one closer to Ingleside. Please check our website and media source frequently.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #185
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe Worth
Old August 27, 2017   #186
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No electricity means an almost automatic no water or waste water in a flat area.
You need pumps to treat water.
You have to have what they call a lift station for sewers to work in a flat area.
The sewer line slopes down for a time them is lifted back up by way of a pump to yet slope back down again till it gets to the treatment plant.
Think of the main sewer line looking like a zig zag under ground.
Old August 27, 2017   #187
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Generators are measured in watts you need to do some math.
Or cheat like me.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...noxiX3POx8AgkQ
Yeah, I have a 5500 watt sinewave that would run our 50 amp RV but it's junk Kipor and doesn't work. Kipor was sued by Honda for theft of their design and won. No replacement parts.

Thanks for the link.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #188
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here I am in downtown Bastrop this morning with a few more folks.
Worth
IMG_20170827_1532.jpg
Old August 27, 2017   #189
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

For some reason I can't see pics you post
Old August 27, 2017   #190
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OH MY GOD! My mind is so blown right now I can't even express how much thanks I have to give. Why are we so blessed in all this devastation? Why us, how can we be so blessed?

My neighbor sent pics.

All fences in the neighborhood are down.

The RV is standing albeit some jacks are missing from the back and it's sitting on it's front as if the jacks are bent. But the darn thing is upright. It is 39' long by golly and doesn't look like one window is broken. Not even the sliding patio door on it. The neighbors shed is destroyed and against the RV in pieces. It looks like their may be some torn siding from the shed. But it is standing upright, this just boggles my mind.

The car trailer is still in it's place.

The MGB top is blown off and it's probably a huge loss with all the water damage.

My shed is there and looks to still be anchored in it's place.

My garden looks like everything is still in it's place. The planters we put into the large beds look to be still there. Some could be missing or it's just the plants that were in them are destroyed.

I don't know if my kennel surrounding my compost is still there or not, it is not tied down because there are pipes below.

I still don't know if the house flooded or not.

Oh MY God! So thankful but don't understand at all. My neighbor said his house did well and he still has his shed. Just a little water got into his shed. He says there is very bad damage all around town. How are we so blessed in all of this?

That's great news Rock. It sounds like a best case scenario considering the storm itself was inevitable.

Worth, a friend built my shed and he built it like he would a house. 16" centers, 2x6's and no nails or staples, all screws. And I even had him use 30 year shingles.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #191
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
For some reason I can't see pics you post
can you see the brackets with the link.
If so right click and select view image it will want you to re log in.
You can then see the pictuer.
Then back out and you will be able to see the pictures.
for some reason I have to do it all the time.
Old August 27, 2017   #192
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Working for me on my PC but not on my Ipad
Old August 27, 2017   #193
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

So glad to see our Texas folks safe and sound for now. Heard on the news that storm supposed to turn around and come back around again before finally moving out.

Rockport... if you try and go back home, I would go aways out from where you are and start looking for generators and lots of gas cans and fill them up. Other folks all going to be looking for supplies too and stores will mpty out and probably be more expensive right around your home area.

Bout broke my heart tonight seeing all them nursing home folks sitting in waist deep water and one poor lady still just having to sit there and trying to knit to occupy time and mind. So glad they finally got them evacuated.

Little off topic, but has anybody heard how the LA coast made out. I know we have some Tv'ers in LA. Hope they ok too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #194
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Rockport... if you try and go back home, I would go aways out from where you are and start looking for generators and lots of gas cans and fill them up. Other folks all going to be looking for supplies too and stores will mpty out and probably be more expensive right around your home area.

Bout broke my heart tonight seeing all them nursing home folks sitting in waist deep water and one poor lady still just having to sit there and trying to knit to occupy time and mind. So glad they finally got them evacuated.
Yeah, it's heart breaking to see what everyone is going through.

We are actually looking at generators online and discussing them. We won't be going home until the storm has finished in our area. By that time we will hopefully have some water and sewer services. A generator would be great to run an indoor a/c portable unit or something. I don't know we'll just see how it all goes. We might venture out tomorrow if the storm lets us and take a look at what's availabe around us. Not sure where to look though. Our friends know nothing about generators and wouldn't know all the places to take us to.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #195
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah, it's heart breaking to see what everyone is going through.

We are actually looking at generators online and discussing them. We won't be going home until the storm has finished in our area. By that time we will hopefully have some water and sewer services. A generator would be great to run an indoor a/c portable unit or something. I don't know we'll just see how it all goes. We might venture out tomorrow if the storm lets us and take a look at what's availabe around us. Not sure where to look though. Our friends know nothing about generators and wouldn't know all the places to take us to.
Well you do know how to get around Austin dont you.
There is NOTHING where you are at.