Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 4, 2021   #16
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
While I have plenty of seed of everything I plan to grow this year, I still need to purchase canning supplies. Walmart is sold out. We tried several other sellers that normally sell in bulk, but so far none have been able to get any lids. I still have over 100 lids left from last year so not in dire need, but will need to get some before June. I'm not a hoarder so tend to purchase what I need year to year. This year, I need about 200 more lids.

I'm posting this is to highlight to others that there may be a shortage of lids this year.
No lids in NY either. I even checked at the Mennonite store. I haven't seen any since last strawberry season. I've finished my seed ordering for the season, some places are slow because of labor issues with COVID & the US mail is still slow.

Last edited by lj in ny; March 4, 2021 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot to mention seeds
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2021   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Linda, they are available on Amazon, but please check the prices. $1 per lid is a bit steep IMO. There are plenty of off brand lids available, but my experience has been that they often have problems sealing. I would rather have Ball, Kerr, or Bernardin if I can get them. Current information suggests there will be a bunch of lids hitting stores in May.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2021   #18
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Sure glad we bought a pallet load of weck jars, we never have to buy seals or lids again,
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2021   #19
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Fusion, try Amazon for lids.

A couple of years ago, I noticed that they charge a lot for lids in the stores to make us buy more jar sets. That is SO wasteful because I don't NEED any more jars. I searched all the stores around here for lids at a respectable price with no joy, but finally found them at Amazon.

Linda
All the grocery stores and Canadian tire well stocked here
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #20
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Do not buy from "Official" Ball or Kerr lids. Mine came from China. PayPal reimbursed me but I had to send them back to China at my cost. I only did that for my satisfaction. I did get some lids on Ebay and waiting on my backorder from Lehman's
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #21
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Fusion,
Regular or wide mouth?
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Fusion is right! A buck a lid is too steep!

Karen, I just checked Canadian Tire and they are $7 something for 6 lids - ridiculous! Amazon.ca isn't giving them away either .

Amazon.com has 24 wide-mouth lids for US $11. A better deal, and that's where I bought mine.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #23
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

About 3$ per dozen for just lids no rings here. I have plenty of rings and jars I just buy new lids yearly. And I already bought them as soon as I saw them as I know will be scarce at canning time
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2021   #24
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Good deal Karen .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote