Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 21, 2018   #16
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Barb, I have about 15 seeds of Ajvarski left over from my Baker Creek Seed Packet,
2018. How about 12 seeds of your Yellow Monster as a trade?
Sounds great; I will PM you. I will grow it out and share seeds for those who need them next spring.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #17
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
SQUIBB, I prefer the giant marconi (which is a hybrid) too. Every pepper was thick sweet and juicy. Have you ever grown F2's and how did it compare?

- Lisa
It is so similar to regular Marconi except for mine the bottom was much more rounded.
Old October 21, 2018   #18
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There is a reference (can't find now) regarding peat based mixes and poor pepper seed germination. When pepper seeds are stubborn to germinate, I break out the coir pellets. These pellets with constant heat results in a high germination rate if you don't accidentally cook the seeds or let them dry out. I've also successfully used unscented generic kitty liter when Drysorb was the rage on here. I prefer the coir for pepper seeds. Pine bark fines are good too.

There was one year where everyone was having trouble germinating peppers. Weird that we all had that unusual experience at the same time when other years were normal.

- Lisa
Thanks - I didn't know they made coir pellets; I will try coir and wonder soil first.
I'm going to try it on some Cucumber seeds as well; these say 'sell by 12/17' but I didn't have much luck with them last season so moved on.
Old October 22, 2018   #19
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
SQUIBB, I prefer the giant marconi (which is a hybrid) too. Every pepper was thick sweet and juicy. Have you ever grown F2's and how did it compare?

- Lisa

My only experience with Marconi's was this year.
I just wish I was bit more diligent in comparing the Hybrid "Giant Marconi" to the "Red Marconi"

Garden space is getting tighter, I may try the two again next year with better comparisons and choose one.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019   #20
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Update: I went with Ajvarski. Thick walls, sweet & tasty as advertised, but we have picked 6 peppers so far from two plants. In 2020 I'll be only growing hots.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019   #21
shule1

Nan,

Neapolitan seems to meet your criteria. They're quite prolific and fairly sweet (not as sweet as Jimmy Nardello Italian, though). The walls aren't super thick, but they're quite a bit thicker than those of Sweet Banana peppers. I might have some extra store-bought seeds if you want some. I definitely have seeds I saved, but they could have crossed with all sorts of peppers.

PM me if you're interested.

Even though they're good, I don't find myself eating Neapolitan a lot for some unknown reason. Maybe I'm just not in the habit, yet. Lipstick is an even thicker walled one that I might chow down on more, but it's not as prolific, nor as sweet (but it is tasty like a red bell pepper; not an unusual taste).

Last edited by shule1; October 23, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old October 23, 2019   #22
shule1

If you don't mind a little bit of heat, Pizza peppers are supposed to be pretty great. They're supposed to have lots of flavor and very thick walls. A description I read says it's prolific, and sweet when red (not sure how sweet).
Old October 24, 2019   #23
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Red belgian.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote