Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 30, 2012   #361
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have read Carolyn's book at least once a year and in my opinion it should be put in the Smithsonian as an all American classic.
It should be mandated by the government for all children to read and in constant printing.

This book was done by Carolyn free of charge with her not receiving one dime from the sales.
In turn it should be passed out (at cost) to for all to read.
Just my opinion.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2012   #362
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have read Carolyn's book at least once a year and in my opinion it should be put in the Smithsonian as an all American classic.
It should be mandated by the government for all children to read and in constant printing.

This book was done by Carolyn free of charge with her not receiving one dime from the sales.
In turn it should be passed out (at cost) to for all to read.
Just my opinion.

Worth
Worth, it is true that I received no royalties from sales of the book and when it went out of print I still kind of owed Workman 26 K, mainly for the photography costs, but I did receive a non-returnable advance of 30K but I had that spent ASAP in what we call a NY minute in my area of the country.
Old November 5, 2012   #363
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Nice to meet you Carolyn
gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2012   #364
papadennis
Tomatovillian™

I am going to be growing only Heirloom tomatoes from now on. I know the hybrid varieties may make a better appearance, but you just can't beat the taste of a genuine heirloom tomato. I too have just finished reading Carolyn's book and found it fascinating. I am ordering 70 various seeds to try and to experiment this upcoming year

Another book is "The Heirloom Tomato" by Amy Goldman. If you want to know more about heirloom tomatoes, try this book as well. I checked it out for free at my local library. Carolyn's is also available through the library, but is a little harder to find
papadennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #365
novel grower
Tomatovillian™

After seeing all the praise and some of the prices I ordered this book used for 18 dollars and can hardly wait to get my hands on it feels like I got a steal of a deal comparatively. I've read many of carolyns posts and have noticed that they are like a ray of sunlight on a cloudy day!
novel grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #366
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Carolyn's book/Cherokee Purple/Indian Stripe

When I set out my spring tomato crop a couple of weeks ago I thought of Carolyn's book, which I bought long, long ago, but hadn't looked at in several years. The photography is indeed stunning, along with the detailed descriptions of the tomato varieties. For example I won't plant heart shaped varieties because the yields are generally not high and I have room for only about 8 plants.

A couple of days ago I found a Cherokee Purple plant at a local nursery. I bought it because it's my husband's favorite. This year I set out purchsed plants for my spring crop and was lacking a CP. I don't have room for it in the normal tomoto area, so it might have to go in the butterfly/hummingbird area, which is going to look a tad strange.

I've been skimming some of the forums here b/c I'm a newbie. I see that some folks don't see the pronounced striping in Indian Stripe. The Indian Stripe I saw growing in the south Arkansas garden of Clyde Burson, a friend my in-laws had pronounced striping. Clyde gave me some seed and I sent it to Carolyn. This was at least a decade ago and from there Carolyn was responsible for it's distribution on a massive level.

Donna
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #367
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
When I set out my spring tomato crop a couple of weeks ago I thought of Carolyn's book, which I bought long, long ago, but hadn't looked at in several years. The photography is indeed stunning, along with the detailed descriptions of the tomato varieties. For example I won't plant heart shaped varieties because the yields are generally not high and I have room for only about 8 plants.

A couple of days ago I found a Cherokee Purple plant at a local nursery. I bought it because it's my husband's favorite. This year I set out purchsed plants for my spring crop and was lacking a CP. I don't have room for it in the normal tomoto area, so it might have to go in the butterfly/hummingbird area, which is going to look a tad strange.

I've been skimming some of the forums here b/c I'm a newbie. I see that some folks don't see the pronounced striping in Indian Stripe. The Indian Stripe I saw growing in the south Arkansas garden of Clyde Burson, a friend my in-laws had pronounced striping. Clyde gave me some seed and I sent it to Carolyn. This was at least a decade ago and from there Carolyn was responsible for it's distribution on a massive level.

Donna
Donna, lots of folks are seeing the striping but it depends on when a photo is taken and how good the photos are. If you go to Google IMAGES and type in Indian Stripe you'll see what I mean. Well here it is:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.jgLwLF-nhiE

Lots of ones with stripes. You have to hold the mouse over a picture to confirm that what's shown is IS, since sometimes some others are mixed in.

For me and many others, I'd say most others, IS has stripes to start with and then ripens up to a solid pink whereas Cherokee Purple usually retains green shoulders and is also striped to start with.

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2013   #368
Danaboy
Tomatovillian™

Ma'am, if I understand you correctly, you're the author of a book called 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden. If so, I just want to say that I own this book and have very much enjoyed reading it, and viewing the dandy photos. I think quite highly of it.

Cy
Danaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #369
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I have to say: This is one of the most beautiful messages I have seen in a long time. Welcome to Tomatoville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaboy View Post
Ma'am, if I understand you correctly, you're the author of a book called 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden. If so, I just want to say that I own this book and have very much enjoyed reading it, and viewing the dandy photos. I think quite highly of it.

Cy
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #370
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

My darling husband gave me Carolyn's book for mothers day this year and I cant put it down. Such a treasure trove of information!
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #371
guitar1580
Tomatovillian™

I had doubts about whether I'd find a copy of Carolyn's book after I heard that it was out of print and going for big bucks, but I just scored a used copy from a Goodwill store in CA on an auction site for less than $25 and free shipping. From the description given, you'd have thought it was gonna be beaten and rough, but it came today and it's like new. Yay, I guess I got lucky!

I'm anxious to read it. I only had time to take a quick look when it came in the mail, but it looks like it's going to be a great read, and the color photography is spectacular. I'm thinking it will likely inspire me to start growing some different varieties from seed, instead of getting my usual greenhouse plants.

If anyone else is looking, I saw one on the Barnes & Noble used website for a decent price last week when I ordered mine. May still be there.

JT
guitar1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #372
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That's great, JT! The photography is wonderful. I'm glad I got my copy when it was still available.
Old June 24, 2013   #373
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I am jealous, that I cannot read this book never. I don´t know English language. But I wish to Carolyn much the fitness, happiness and the complacency
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #374
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed that Amazon re-sellers are selling this book used starting at $11.87. Some sound in pretty good condition but are paperback. Worth investigating. Some of the books are fulfilled by Amazon so if you have over $25 in orders it may be free shipping. Worth investigating. I got this book a few years ago from Seed Savers and love it! Even though Carolyn has added new varieties over the years to her favorites or recommended lists when asked, the ones in this book are certainly all winners and I plant a number of them each year! I meant to add the link! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Last edited by Gardadore; June 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added link
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #375
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Vladimir, this book is worth having for just the pictures alone...even if your English is not so good! :-D