Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 5, 2017   #76
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic transit gloria View Post
Malachite Box is a mainstay for me. I also like Green Giant (tricky to know when ripe due to translucent skin) and Humph, which my wife says tastes vaguely like rootbeer barrel candy, but I don't get that.
Where HAVE you been since you last posted here on Feb 25th, 2015?

Remember I used to refer to you as sic transit gloria mundi (thus ends the glory of the world).

So great to see you back and posting again.

Carolyn
Old May 5, 2017   #77
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Where HAVE you been since you last posted here on Feb 25th, 2015?

Remember I used to refer to you as sic transit gloria mundi (thus ends the glory of the world).

So great to see you back and posting again.

Carolyn
Well, it's good to be back. Of course I remember you completing my name. I've been busy with life, I guess. I still grew heirloom tomatoes, but I have to say, the last couple years weren't that successful for my garden. Hoping for a better year this year. Growing a lot of old favorites this time. Plus, as a Christmas gift this past year, I received a salt plank (for lack of a better word). People use them cook on, I guess, but I am just going to use it to spread sliced tomatoes on and then serve :-)

We're having asparagus by the bushel right now (I have a large patch). In the garden, the garlic looks good, potatoes are coming up, peas are growing. Inside in the garden tower we have all manner of greens, so I have more room in the outside garden for the good stuff :-)

Glad to see you're still active in the community.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #78
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic transit gloria View Post
Well, it's good to be back. Of course I remember you completing my name. I've been busy with life, I guess. I still grew heirloom tomatoes, but I have to say, the last couple years weren't that successful for my garden. Hoping for a better year this year. Growing a lot of old favorites this time. Plus, as a Christmas gift this past year, I received a salt plank (for lack of a better word). People use them cook on, I guess, but I am just going to use it to spread sliced tomatoes on and then serve :-)

We're having asparagus by the bushel right now (I have a large patch). In the garden, the garlic looks good, potatoes are coming up, peas are growing. Inside in the garden tower we have all manner of greens, so I have more room in the outside garden for the good stuff :-)

Glad to see you're still active in the community.
I'd given almost anything right now for fresh asparagus, we had a huge asparagus bed, and it was back breaking work going along with that forked asparagus knife cutting it, then taking it into the barn where the buncher was,putting red rubber elastic around the bunches, setting them in water, until they were loaded on the truck with other stuff to go to that huge commercial market for others to buy . I still have lots of old tools that we used on the farm,such as bean planters,hoes,spades,round and flat bottom spades, yes forked asparagus knives as well,etc.,

All to say,yes,I'm still active here, doing OK from the neck up,gardening part of the brain and memory seem OK, but below the neck not so good. Permanently homebound now trying to not fall with my walker, and so it goes.

Carolyn, after all, who will be 78 in June.
Old 1 Week Ago   #79
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I saw a new Russian GWR commercial variety. 'Antonovka Medovaya' (or, Antonovka Honey)
Has anyone had the opportunity to try it yet? Maybe it's a so new it's only hit the market now..
I was just sent some seeds for this one. I am interested to know as well
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote