Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2018   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Ack! How do you manage to breathe with 4 smokers?!!?

Nan
We go outside to smoke most of the time, but not always. I've been showing all 4 of us just how bad cigarette smoking is. Dropping in things like, Gah, this cigarette tastes like $%^&. All 4 of us want to quit.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #17
JoParrott

this is all very interesting to me- I too have sowed seeds way too early and now have beautiful plants that will have to wait weeks to be put outside. I had to have surgery last week and friends have baby-sat my plants. I think it is too late to sow again, so I will just see what happens. I want to post photos but just don't feel up to going out to my little greenhouse to do it.
Old March 17, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
We go outside to smoke most of the time, but not always. I've been showing all 4 of us just how bad cigarette smoking is. Dropping in things like, Gah, this cigarette tastes like $%^&. All 4 of us want to quit.
good for you! this is a disgusting not to mention expensive habit... and I am sure you don't need us to tell you that but keep re enforcing it to your family... especially your grandchildren.

I make people who smoke/chew stay away from my greenhouse, if at all possible, to keep the threat of tobacco mosaic out of my geraniums mostly.... but I don't think your tomatoes look lke that. just too long in a too dark place maybe during shipment they sat for a couple days? and lacking nitrogen. jmo. can you put a stake in each container and tie them up? or is the stem collapsed or broken? they do look fragile.
Old March 17, 2018   #19
imp
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't look like TMV at all though.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't think they have TMV either, but I did look up some effects nicotine has on plants. I've read this link twice and I think is worth checking out http://homeguides.sfgate.com/nicotin...nts-76926.html

Yes, the plants are weak. They bend but not break so far. I could use a shish-k-bob skewer to tie them up.
I grew them from seed, so no transport problems. I do have some Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 that I could use to help get them stronger. Any ideas/thoughts on this?

This will be a work in progress.
Old March 17, 2018   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I don't think they have TMV either, but I did look up some effects nicotine has on plants. I've read this link twice and I think is worth checking out http://homeguides.sfgate.com/nicotin...nts-76926.html

Yes, the plants are weak. They bend but not break so far. I could use a shish-k-bob skewer to tie them up.
I grew them from seed, so no transport problems. I do have some Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 that I could use to help get them stronger. Any ideas/thoughts on this?

This will be a work in progress.
Salt, yes you have the right idea. Some Fish Fertilizer and some support for them will work wonders. Let them have some sun and expose them to protected winds too. I would not trench them or plant them any deeper in your soil. They will bulk up once in ground and having to face the elements.
Old March 17, 2018   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

On a personal note; a lot of more important things took my attention from gardening this year so far. That includes a different way of gardening for me. I'm going to link a thread I started here explaining a lot more http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46933

Post #7 here on this thread is the list of tomatoes I started yesterday - they are to be planted in the way of the link above - or if too late - some store bought transplants..

The tomato plants you see in the pictures I posted here were sown to try to test a 45' x 45' garden known to have RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3. MissS, sent me some FFF-N seeds to try out in that garden just to see if they would grow and produce. Some of those are the lanky plants in the pictures. Sorry Patti, they grew so fast.

That leads to one more thread I started. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=45993&page=13 I will be updating that thread after I post this, and it effects this and the other thread.
Old March 19, 2018   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My climate/season is close to yours, Salt
Last yr i stated seeds on Jan 19
It was 2 weeks too early, i found out. This year i sowed on Feb 1st. Right timing. My seedling are now about 8 inch tall ang getting hardened off. I wil start planting them in about 5 days, is 15 fays forecast shows no lows under 39F. By then it will past our LFD.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I planted out the 24 best looking ones today. I was able to plant 7 of the super hybrids (FFF,N...) to compare with the OPs in four raised beds. The raised beds do have RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3 in them. It took me half a day to plant them.
Old March 21, 2018   #25
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

All right, Salt! Now the experiment begins.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote