Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 2, 2015   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Amazon for seeds

Hi,

I'd normally never order seeds from Amazon, but I was placing an order for other things today and since some old zucchini squash seeds I had recently planted failed to germinate, it occurred to me to check out what Amazon might have. I found that they offered a number of the more common seed varieties with free shipping on orders of $35 or more (or as "add on items"). I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but it's new to me since I last bothered to check out seeds on Amazon.

I ordered a pack of organic black beauty zucchini seeds for about $2 and no added shipping charge. Quick and easy - sort of like grabbing a candy bar or something at the check-out on your way out of the grocery store . I just "grabbed what I wanted" and didn't explore things, but I imagine the selections that are eligible for free shipping are pretty limited compared to the usual seed vendors, but perhaps worth checking out - esp. is you're flexible on what variety you want and only need a couple of packets of things.

FWIW,
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #2
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Odoriko seeds from Amazon cheapest

Hi. I wanted just one packet of Odoriko seeds. It turned out that the cost at the source, Kitazawa seeds, was $9.50 including postage. The same seeds from the same source at Amazon cost less than $7 including postage. (Both prices for shipping to a U.S. address.) Go figure! Of course, Kitazawa tried to bill me $10 extra (!) because I have a foreign Visa card, but that's another story.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #3
Путинка
Tomatovillian™

I got seeds off amazon and all i've popped have been counterfeit. I forget the name of the seller, but they were cheap. I got indigo rose that turned out to be a large yellow cherry!!! I ordered mexican mini watermelons (cucumelons, mouse melons) that I grew out this year, they're flippin' cucumbers!!!!!! GAH!
Путинка is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Путинка View Post
I got seeds off amazon and all i've popped have been counterfeit. I forget the name of the seller, but they were cheap. I got indigo rose that turned out to be a large yellow cherry!!! I ordered mexican mini watermelons (cucumelons, mouse melons) that I grew out this year, they're flippin' cucumbers!!!!!! GAH!
report the seller! all your order info should be in your amazon account!
Old July 25, 2015   #5
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I order most of my seeds from Hirt's Gardens but I think they sell through Amazon.Never had any problem, all the seeds were all what they were supposed to be.They sell everything, but they have a great selection of heirlooms and hybrid tomatoes as well as every other vegetable imaginable.The tomato seeds come from either Totally Tomatoes or Ivy Garth.I guess they buy in bulk and resell.The best part for someone like me who buys only a few packages at a time, anything over 3 dollars, shipping and handling is free.My last order was 9 dollars and was sent in a nice bubble mailer with a free package of seeds.The prices are pretty good too.Oh and I was looking the other day and they even sell the Fiji Island Cannibal tomato

http://www.hirts.com/

Last edited by seaeagle; July 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added Link
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I would also report them on Amazon.

And next time, start here - www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote