Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 30, 2007   #1
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Default Totally Tomato Order

On March 9th I placed with Totally Tomato for one tomato variety and two cucumbers. I had not received the order and called yesterday. The service rep told me the order was filled on the 15th and sent stardard mail.

The kicker was that she told me delivery could take between five and fourteen business days...and as such, I should have the order by April 4th.

This was a small order...barely more than the $4.95 S&H. Am I crazy in believing that this delievery window is a little ridiculous? And for the S&H...should not the order have gone out first class?

I hope I get the order...this was my order for County Fair cucumber which I desperately want. Parks and Gurney's are the only one's that carry it.
Old March 30, 2007   #2
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Adenn1,

thanks for your comments. I printed your post and have placed it in the inter-office mailbox of the owner of our company. Everyone here in customer service would also like to see us move away from the old system of bulk mail. But with our cost of shipping continuing to rise we don't know when that will happen.

Thanks again,
Ruth
Totally Tomatoes
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Ruth:

Thank you for your response and comments. I was under the impression that "standard" shipping and handling would mean first class delivery...not bulk rate. The bulk rate delivery time of 5-14 days does seem excessive and I can understand why you would want to move away from it.

I am not sure if this shipping issue is discussed in detail at your site. If not, I would suggest that customers be notified what the delivery window could be for them. I procrastinated in placing my order and would have not done so if I knew that the order could take upwards of fourteen business days to get to me.

Again, thank you for your prompt attention.

Adenn1
Old March 30, 2007   #4
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Totally Tomatoes 6 years ago, my first year growing heirlooms. I don't recall how long delivery took, but I had no compaint. It seems the USPS could get the delivery to you sooner than 14 days...
I have to say that I was pleased with what I got from TT, just thought I should mention that.
Old March 30, 2007   #5
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from Totally Tomatoes quite a bit over the years...

...and HPS, forget it. I think I've placed at least 7 or 8 orders with them so far THIS YEAR.

With one minor exception, I have always received my seeds quickly and without problem. The only problem I've had was an apparent back order on Big Beef seeds, which took about 10 days longer to arrive.

Other than that, I've been very pleased with what I've received.

One observation - HPS orders arrive MUCH faster than those placed with Totally Tomatoes. After speaking with a customer service rep, it seems apparent that HPS ships quicker and with a better method because most of THEIR orders are for commercial or production customers rather than backyard gardeners. Larger quantities too, which I suppose means larger profits.
Old March 30, 2007   #6
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungseed View Post
Adenn1,

thanks for your comments. I printed your post and have placed it in the inter-office mailbox of the owner of our company. Everyone here in customer service would also like to see us move away from the old system of bulk mail. But with our cost of shipping continuing to rise we don't know when that will happen.

Thanks again,
Ruth
Totally Tomatoes
My sincere thanks to you Ruth, for your assistance and concern for our members orders at TT.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #7
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

No problem. The people here are soooo nice. I am amazed at the accuracy and depth of information that is shared on this site.
I do have one problem with the site--- a serious case of veggie garden envy. I keep seeing and hearing about the wonderful things people are growing. Makes my mouth water.
Old April 3, 2007   #8
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Ruth:

My ordered arrived on Saturday the 31st. Thank you for your follow up on this order.
Old April 3, 2007   #9
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I haven't ordered from Totally Tomatoes, but last Friday (the last Friday in March) an English author offered me some autographed posters for my classroom. She mailed them on Saturday morning. They arrived in VT from Cambridge, UK on Monday afternoon.

14 days for $4.95 does seem a bit excessive. A flat-rate Priority Mail is less than that.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #10
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

It probably does seem high unless you realize it is not only a shipping charge. Our handling is also covered in that $4.95. I get paid from that to download the order from the internet. The girls that answer the phones to take orders and answer questions, the ladies that open the mail, the people that put the order together, packers and shippers. Then it covers the postage. The field people and administration get paid from the mark up on the seeds and plants. Now you know why none of us get paid much!!!! I just need to ask.....
Wouldn't you all like to pay just a bit more shipping and handling so I could get a raise?????

Last edited by jungseed; April 3, 2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: ask for a raise
Old April 3, 2007   #11
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I don't buy this malarkey in the least jungseed. We order via the internet all the time - including seeds and plants. In fact, I ordered some two days ago. Shipping and handling - $3.95. They arrived from Florida this afternoon via first class mail. Perhaps you need to rethink how many people you have involved in the operation, because your S&H is quite high for an order of seeds.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #12
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Granny, thanks for your suggestion. I will certainly pass it along. Guess I have to admit to being awfully selfish... but I like the raise idea way more than the being fired idea. Thanks again.
Old April 3, 2007   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The packet prices at Totally Tomatoes look reasonable to me. I suppose they could increase the price of each packet by 40 cents and then lower the S&H by $2. Not sure who that would help. Ordering just a few packets of seeds is always costly.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #14
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

What on earth is 'handling' anyway? I went to the store and bought some cornflakes ... 2.99, zero for handling. Bought a couple Papa John's pizzas ... $20, zero handling. I tipped the guy though, is that 'handling'? I'm sure I don't have to give more examples.

Rhetorical question, anyway. Here's what handling is: An additional upcharge on something you buy, that some folks don't notice. They'll see "Oooh, lookie, packs of seeds only $2 each!". The 'handling' charge can double the final price of those seeds, but no matter, $2 each makes the buyers feel like they're getting a bargain.

Every day on Ebay I see small trinkets for 99 cents each, plus $7 for shipping and 'handling'. "What a bargain, I got a charm for my necklace for only 99 cents!!" Uhhhh, no.

TV commercials: Exercise equipment, diet pills, et al ... Only three easy payments of <whatever price>, 'plus postage and handling' in REAL small letters. That upcharge isn't revealed though, you gotta call and get the figure. "Full money back guarantee if not delighted!! 'minus postage and handling' in REAL small letters again. Company makes money even on returns.

It's just another way for a company to increase sales. Instead of saying "Diet pills, $150", it sounds much cheaper to say "Diet pills, just three easy payments of $39.95 plus shipping and handling".

It'll be Helena Handbasket the day those aforementioned cornflakes cost $2.99, plus 'handling'. Me: "What, handling??" Storekeeper: "Yes, we have to pay the stockpeople to put the cornflakes on the shelf and the janitors to keep the floors clean and the baggers who pack the cornflakes and ... "
Old April 3, 2007   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A lot of companies don’t charge the S/H if you order a certain amount.
Even if they do and I want something I will still get it.
A gallon of gas is almost $3.00 now, so what’s the big deal over a little S/H charge so someone else can live a little better.
Just read the fine print and make up your own mind.

It kind of reminds me of some of the folks that don’t leave a tip after spending $100 at a restaurant; it’s the waitress or waiter that suffers not the business.
In Texas they don’t have to get paid minimum wage if they work for tips.
Minimum wage is B/S any way.
I will give as much as a 50% tip just to help offset these guys and if I can’t afford to tip I can’t afford to eat there.
Some of the worst tippers are the ones that can darn well afford it, such a shame.

Jungseed I’m All for you getting a raise and I don’t care about the S/H charges.
And I don’t think you are greedy you just want to have what others have and pay the bills like we all do.
It’s called the American Dream right.

Folks just order about $50 worth of seeds and share them with other people or get with your buddies and make a large order and then the S/H comes to nothing.
Life’s to short to gripe about something that costs less than a good 6 pack of beer which I pay $7.00 for.

Good Day,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote