Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 13, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default An Impostor and other news

"Merrily we roll along..." In two weeks it will be June. It's hard to believe that the year is approaching the half way point.

This morning I "groomed" the tomatoes, which for me means limbing up lower branches and pinching out any new shoots. I also mulched the tomato buckets in the garden with leaves, something Pickles had already done to the tomatoes by the house. These are the "house tomatoes".

Speaking of tomatoes, there's an impostor trying to convince me it's an Early Annie, a tomato that's new to me. We're growing two this year and one's showing itself to be a potato leaf tomato and the other has a regular leaf. A search reveals that Early Annie has regular leaves. It will be interesting to see what kind of tomatoes the other one puts out. I'm pretty sure the seeds came out of the same packet because I only have one packet open at a time when seeding and the pots are pre-labeled and double checked when the seed goes in.

There are three Feher Ozon paprikas this year. Maybe being where they get a little afternoon shade this year will help them do better. They're looking good so far.

To prevent another possible fiasco with Pea Bed #2's vines flopping over their fence like those in Pea Bed #1 did, this morning I added two more strings 6" apart above the Bed #2 fence. The peas in that bed are right about at the fence top so the strings will give them something to grab on to.

The Roma beans are starting to pop up and I think I spied the first two popcorn plants poking up. It's about time! And all of a sudden the tardy, reseeded Black Diamond watermelon hill has five seeds germinated. They'll be thinned down to the best one.

I believe the chilly mornings are gone for good. By the time it hits 90 on Monday, I might wish for a little of that cool breeze!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote