Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 4, 2007   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default What is wrong with my plants?!! :0(

This winter I ordered plants online to make sure I had some this spring. . . ironically the plants I grew in my basement look a hundred times better than the ones I recieved online. . . which ended up being cheaper substitutions of what I originally ordered, grrrrrrrr

Anyway, my plants arrived shriveled and I was told this was normal and they would come back. . . however only one has, at least in my opinion. . .

Is this a disease? It's been a week and it still looks hideous!! Can't believe I payed good money for these things!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0104.jpg (103.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0105.jpg (52.5 KB, 57 views)
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For one thing the plants are in too small of a container it should be in something 10 times that size.
The good folks that sent you the plants never intended for you to keep them in the little container they sent them in.

At this stage I would say that the plant is suffering from sever nutrient deficiency.
Do you still have them in the house as I see they are in the pictures?
I wouldn’t think that the person you got them from would send you a diseased plant.
It looks too me that it needs a LITTLE sun light, more room to grow in and a good dose of food.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #3
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

They've been outside in the sun. . . until several days ago. . . now they've been outside in the rain. . .they only came inside for their photoshoot

I was wondering if they caught something in my backyard while I was waiting for them to become "unstressed"? I was told not to plant them until they no longer looked stressed. . .

I did feed them several days ago with some of that Neptune fish/seaweed stuff, and it helped a little. . .

So it's not like cucumber mosaic virus or anything?
thanks
Old June 4, 2007   #4
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

They look fine to me. Worth is right, I would put them in a gallon pot with Miracle Gro potting mix or something similar. A little water every other day or three, and they'll be huge and green.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Pot 'em up.

extrastufftomakethecharacterlimit
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #6
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Can I just put 'em in the ground already?
Old June 5, 2007   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If thats where you intend for them to go it would not hurt my feelings a bit.
Is it warm enough there? (no more frost)
Old June 5, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Weather this week in Hartford, CT looks perfect.
Old June 5, 2007   #9
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

no more frost. . . but a tornado was just spotted south of us, so my others may be "off to see the wizard" !

I take it feldon you were being funny?! That's not nice coming from sunny, warm Houston!!!!
Old June 5, 2007   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I meant that evening temperatures are well north of 40. As long as there is little or no chance of temperatures going below 40, tomato plants go in the ground.

I did not mean your weather was spotless, only temperatures looked ok for transplanting. Tornadoes are probably not good for tomatoes though.

We had 4 days of rain which split open some of the tomatoes I was most looking forward to.
Old June 5, 2007   #11
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Can't you still eat them that way? That's what happened to my Sungold's from the local CSA (was too late to sign up this year, grrrrr) and the freshly split ones tasted just as good.

I actually lost 20 lbs and got down to a size 0 that way last summer. . . I had to eat all the maters before they rotted, so I had room in my belly for very little else!!! :-o !!!!

Can I put tomatoes in the ground before it storms (providing of course no tornadoes are coming) or should I wait for storms to pass? I've been waiting for almost a week, and if I wait much longer I won't get fruit on some varieties if we have an early frost. . .

Last year we had a frost the third week of August, so I'm already living dangerously with even my early varieties. . .
Old June 5, 2007   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In gardening if you wait for the perfect time and try to out guess the weather and worry about what might happen.
you will never get anything to grow.
If your plants need water now, don't wait for a 20% chance of rain to do the job tomorrow.

Gardening is a wonderful balance of success and failure.
With the failure there is knowledge to be gained.
A hail storm came through the other day and really messed up my plants and knocked hell out of some of my tomatoes.

There aint a thing I can do about it.

If you plant your tomato plants and a tornado comes trough and sends them off to Oz then so what, at least you tried.
Then you can grow green beans in their place.

Disappointment sadness and joy are a part of our mental makeup, without all of them there is room for a troubled mind.

Growing tomatoes is a sure fire way to experience all of the human emotions at once.

I have grown large amounts of tomatoes by just putting the things in strait non prepared soil and watering them, nothing else.

If you fail we will be here to console you and there is always next year.

If you succeed then we will be here to be glad with you.

These tomatoes can just about take care of their selves.

Don't expect to get 15 foot tall plants in your first go around just loaded with tomatoes and you wont be disappointed.

Farming big or small is not always an exact science it is sometimes an art form.
Lets get those plants in the ground and see what happens.

Worth
Old June 5, 2007   #13
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth. . . I'm sorry about your hail storm.

You don't have any special Texan won't-kill-me method of killing termites do you?

Sigh. . . just started a new post on it. . .

I am soooo disaster prone. . . .
Old June 5, 2007   #14
jej826
Tomatovillian™

Plant em and let em grow We had nickle sized hail today in Waterbury.No damage to the garden.
jej826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007   #15
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Hey jej. . . nice to see a fellow Connecticutian! (or is it Connecticutter?. . . not originally from these parts ;-)