Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 25, 2013   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

OK, this was bugging me so I had to search to find the resource page on varieties.
Here is the pepper page http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w.../pepperal.html

I was wrong about how long I had grown it. Apparently it's only been around since 1997.

But the M doesn't stand for "medium heat" either as the release notes say "highly pungent" .

Jalapeno M - Vendor: Park Seed Co. Parentage: open pollinated. Characteristics: jalapeño type, green maturing to red, highly pungent, 75 mm long fruit, 550 mm tall plants, 73 days. 1997.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #17
Levent
Tomatovillian™

http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop/...%20HM&cart_id=
Quote:
Der Jalapeño M (Mexico) ist eine klassische Sorte,
die etwas größer als die amerikanischen Sorten und etwa 4000 SCU scharf wird.
Typisch für mexikanische Jalapeños und kein Fehler ist die korkige Oberfläche der Schoten bei Vollreife (Capsicum annuum)
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #18
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer. I've heard or read that the M stands for Mexico, medium hot, and that Jalapeno M is the most popular jalapeno in Mexico.

Good luck and should anyone find the actual definitive answer please post it here.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This thread is number 2 on the Google search list now for looking for what it stands for.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #20
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Call Park Seed Co. and ask them
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post

But the M doesn't stand for "medium heat" either as the release notes say "highly pungent" .

Carol
"highly pungent" is a joke to pepper lovers. Sure some people may think 5,000 SHU is "highly pungent". But most pepper lovers eat those like pop corn. Nearly no heat at all for a hot pepper lover.

I stand by my post. The M stands for medium. Jalapeno M is a Mexican heirloom variety that was selected in the USA for medium heat...not too hot, not too mild. There was no hybrid cross made. They simply took the normal Mexican heirloom (which varies widely in heat range) and selected for consistency for the commercial market. Then it was given back to the Mexican growers (and offered for sale here in USA and other places too) so that the big processing companies would be assured of a more consistent heat range...3500-5000 Instead of the widely varying range found of 2500-10,000 +/-

Now of course with hybrids a jalapeno can range from 1000-17,000, but that depends on the variety and the hybrid. However that is a bit different than growing your own batch of seeds and having one plant at 2500 and the plant beside it at 8,000! Many of the Mexican growers that were using their own heirloom seeds were doing just that. Jalapeno M was the solution. It is just the normal heirloom Jalapeno but selected for consistent medium heat (for a jalapeno)

So is it a Mexican strain? YES originally, but the M doesn't stand for Mexico.
So is it "highly pungent"? YES compared to a bell pepper or one of the new hybrid xtra mild types, but not compared to other heirloom Jalapenos. It is right in the lower middle range.

PS Last year and most my previous years I grew the normal heirloom "Hot Jalapeno". And like always I had a plant or two produce VERY hot peppers. This year I am growing Jalapeno M for the same reason it was developed. I still want an heirloom non hybrid jalapeno, but will be selling them at market and want them more consistent without the occasional "surprise".

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; March 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #22
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to toss in a late vote for "moribund." I think that word needs more circulation.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #23
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Mmmmmm....

CapnChkn is offline   Reply With Quote