Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 19, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default sulphur question

bought some potato seeds today to try growing in a container just for the heck of it. I dusted the potatoes with sulphur this afternoon, how long do I wait to plant?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2007   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

you can plant them tomorrow. The sulphur is just supposed to help reduce diseases on the tubers. I would plant them about 2 inches deep to start with and then fill in the container as they grow. The more of the stem you can cover, the more potatoes will set, up to a point.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2007   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
how long do I wait to plant?
As Fusion said, tomorrow.

Dusting of the seed potatoes doesn't restrict one on planting time. Some folks like to see the cut areas of the tuber suberize, which is a word taken from Latin suber, meaning cork. A well suberized tuber looks corky-like when it heals over.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2007   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I started with 6 inches of soil in the bottom of the container consisting of potting soil, some peat and osmocote 14-14-14. added the spuds and topped with two inches more soil with a light layer of composted manure. Ive read that I can use compost as the soil that I add in the future. I have cotton burr compost and was wondering if I could use that. Here is a pic of the garbage can that I found and am using as the container.

Old February 21, 2007   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Cotton Burr Compost?

For those not familiar with it go to:

http://www.backtonaturecompost.com/cbc.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...3722914.html?7

Cotton burr compost is sold under several different labels is available commercially through many garden centers in many parts of the USA. Central, Southwestern and Southeastern United States come to mind.

I remember that GreenSense Cotton Burr Compost contains sulfur, the longest lasting of the elemental acidifiers and a plant essential micro-nutrient.

I would read the label and then decide. If others have more experience with Cottom burr compost, please share.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

label states that they do not reccomend that it be used by itself, so maybe I could mix it with potting soil