Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG Spring Plant Share Meet [reports please]

Since we CHOPTAGgers are a small part of the Tomatoville denizenship here's my report on the plant share meet we had today.

A better day couldn't have been asked for, cool, breezy and sunny. When we got there [me, Kathy, and Dad] shortly after noon, a few CHOPTAGgers were already there and they [Brian, Dave, and Jerry] helped us unload our stuff from the car's trunk. During the unloading several questions arose about where was the pulled pork. Saying, "Dang, I forgot it!" didn't work so I got the crock pot out from behind the front seat. I think they would have been just as happy to see an UPS man show up with it. :-)

After setting up our table we greeted old friends and introduced ourselves to the newcomers who will become old friends. Since we started CHOPTAG it has become obvious to me that tomato growers, at least 99.9% of them, are the best people on Earth. We now have several new, and I can tell deep to the bone, CHOPTAGers: David, Fred, Lisa, Michael, Neal, Sue, and Valeree. The only thing I regret is there wasn't enough time to spend more time with all of you guys.

Anyway, Neil and Heather arrived shortly after we did and we setup the food table and started the pork pulling. The aroma, man the aroma, it permeated the air and stomachs really started to rumble and grumble. We had 5 or 6 kinds of sauces plus some lip smacking homemade. The sidedishes everyone brought were delicious: baked beans, slaw, salads and etc. Man o man, we really pigged out. :-)

The pulled pork contest was declared a tie by everyone and that me and Neil had to do another showdown! Dang, I haven't even mentioned tomatoes. LOL.

Thejkl gang only managed to force 6-8 plants on me. But I did pretty good with those I took, getting rid of all of them. We had lots of plants left, Gary was auctioning them off at the last. That was a lot of fun, really. He's a real clown!

The thing is, Gary ended up not getting rid of any but taking three from Neil! Wait, I think Gary cajolled Jerry into taking one.

Of all the plants I took, I only messed up on two deliveries, some green garlic to Lisa [but Sue shared hers] and a Kimberly to Mark. Even after not getting his Kimberly, Mark gave me a small metal chest of drawers with film canisters to store my tomato seeds.

Please rememeber, everyone who got plants from me. They need to be hardened off in part shade/sun for a few days before planting.

Thanks everyone! You're great folks and you made our day. Looking forward to seeing you at the taste fest in Aug. Sorry for being so wordy.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Sounds like a great time!

Wordy is a good thing here, Earl

I can't wait to read more...and now I'm hungry after reading about the pulled pork LOL

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006   #3
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Be sure to see the comments in the CHOPTAG forum.

http://tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1251