Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2012   #16
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
b'c as most of you know I'm a shy, passive, reclusive person who doesn't often speak up.
Loved that bit.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Miss Carolyn

If you get the seeds, I would love to help you grow them and keep data for you.
If you're referring to the seeds I hope to get from Mike, I still haven't heard back from him, and in post#12 I said I'd be sending them to Chance for him to distribute.

But if I do get the seeds I'll save maybe 10 seeds out for myself, 5 go to Craig in Raleigh b'c he raises my plants and 5 will go to one of the three folks who do seed production for me.

But I do thank you for your generous offer.
Old August 10, 2012   #18
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Pala 49

This is one of the varieties that I will share for the ANATOHUM project. Pala 49 suffered from weather fluctuations and dropped a lot of blossoms; however, it finally started setting fruits. Attached are pictures of Pala 49, ahem or should I say eggplant tree? It is currently more than 6 ft tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pala 49.jpg (333.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Pala 49-Fruit.jpg (321.7 KB, 64 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2012   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I heard back from Mike at Victory Seeds today and he said all he knows about the turkish variety is on his website.

He said he'd be sending me some seeds, so Chance, when I get them I'll take out 10 seeds for myself, 5 to send to Craig for plants and 5 to one of the folks who does seed production for me. And then send the rest to you for you to distribute as you see fit.

It was a great e-mail b'c he was also updating me on his family and especially his one son, who decided he wanted to go into business with his father after graduating from college. I know how pleased Mike is with that development and his son has helped out summers so already has lots of knowledge about the seed business.

I met his son and a daughter and Mike's wife I think it was two years ago when they were East for a USDA Conference on Seed packaging at the USDA Geneva station in W NYS near Cornell. And they stopped by here for a visit.
Old August 15, 2012   #20
peppero
Tomatovillian™

those tall plants are amazing. what kind of fruit do they produce and where can the seeds be found? thanks for posting those photos. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2012   #21
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you're referring to the seeds I hope to get from Mike, I still haven't heard back from him, and in post#12 I said I'd be sending them to Chance for him to distribute.

But if I do get the seeds I'll save maybe 10 seeds out for myself, 5 go to Craig in Raleigh b'c he raises my plants and 5 will go to one of the three folks who do seed production for me.

But I do thank you for your generous offer.
Thanks

And: Thanks for helping me with good advice this year.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2012   #22
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I heard back from Mike at Victory Seeds today and he said all he knows about the turkish variety is on his website.

He said he'd be sending me some seeds, so Chance, when I get them I'll take out 10 seeds for myself, 5 to send to Craig for plants and 5 to one of the folks who does seed production for me. And then send the rest to you for you to distribute as you see fit.

It was a great e-mail b'c he was also updating me on his family and especially his one son, who decided he wanted to go into business with his father after graduating from college. I know how pleased Mike is with that development and his son has helped out summers so already has lots of knowledge about the seed business.

I met his son and a daughter and Mike's wife I think it was two years ago when they were East for a USDA Conference on Seed packaging at the USDA Geneva station in W NYS near Cornell. And they stopped by here for a visit.
Also I am so happy that you have a trusted friend for life like "Craig". I am happy that he is letting me help with his project.
Old August 15, 2012   #23
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I would appreciate it if the contributors who contacted with me through PM could forward their preferences for which vegetables they would like to grow, if they haven't done so.
Old August 15, 2012   #24
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
those tall plants are amazing. what kind of fruit do they produce and where can the seeds be found? thanks for posting those photos. jon
Peppero, they are eggplants. I gave a lot of compost tea to that bed so it might be the reason for the enormous size. If you would like to contribute to my project, please send me your information via PM so that I can send you some seeds later.
Old August 15, 2012   #25
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Peppero, they are eggplants. I gave a lot of compost tea to that bed so it might be the reason for the enormous size. If you would like to contribute to my project, please send me your information via PM so that I can send you some seeds later.

Hello Chancethegardener & Everyone

I have many farming secrets that it took so many years to obtain: but i will share this iinformation about Egg Plants and Tomatoes.. If you grow egg plants especially in container, it will take you years before you can grow a tomato plant in that area or soil.

I have a special are where I grow my egg plants in "container only". Just to make sure my soil will not mix.

Your eggplant looks nioce.
Old August 17, 2012   #26
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Sultani Turkish Okra

Okra has an important place in Turkish Cuisine, and cooked in different ways. There is one okra dish which is cooked very much like gumbo. I will share seeds for Sultani Turkish Okra as part of the ANATOHUM project. You can see the plant in the picture. It is loving the wet and hot Florida conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkish Sultani Okra.jpg (395.4 KB, 39 views)
Old August 17, 2012   #27
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Nice Okra Plant.

What is the name of your Okra.
Old August 17, 2012   #28
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

It is a Turkish heirloom, its name is Sultani.

Last edited by chancethegardener; August 17, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old August 17, 2012   #29
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone taken up the watermelon? If not I have room for it this upcoming year. I have slimmed down what I will grow, the only thing in flux is Watermelon. If you allow me to grow it, I will grow it in "seclusion" ... more than 60' away from anything else. I can only do this for one variety*.

Have a good one!
Gary

Last edited by Diriel; August 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: *Clarify
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #30
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diriel View Post
Has anyone taken up the watermelon? If not I have room for it this upcoming year. I have slimmed down what I will grow, the only thing in flux is Watermelon. If you allow me to grow it, I will grow it in "seclusion" ... more than 60' away from anything else. I can only do this for one variety*.

Have a good one!
Gary
Please PM me your contact information and email address, if possible. Thanks.