Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2016   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordido View Post
I was hoping you'd reply Carolyn! I've seen several posts alluding to your love of GWRs, but when I tried to search again for specific ones I had trouble finding those posts. Thank you! And also thanks for the clarification on Hugh's. That ones Srill in my list for a yellow.
Well, at least I stayed with the list you put up since those are the ones you already have seeds for, but of course there were others that I might have suggested, but not relevant here and now.

Carolyn
Old May 21, 2016   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
My go-to variety is Cherokee Green because of production. This one seems to really turn them out for me. I am trying a few new ones this year, Cherokee Lime (thanks, Ginger), Esmeralda Golosina, and one of the dwarf releases. While I don't think you would be disappointed with the flavor of any of those mentioned, I would like to put in a good word for Zebra Rita. It is an improvement of Green Zebra, not quit as bitey but with great sweet/tangy profile.
Oh, good to know Nancy. Heh heh! Might have to send you a pm.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Well, at least I stayed with the list you put up since those are the ones you already have seeds for, but of course there were others that I might have suggested, but not relevant here and now.

Carolyn
You have amazing willpower, Carolyn.
Old May 21, 2016   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordido View Post
You're right, I've never heard of Cherokee Lime! How do you feel like it compares/differs from Cherokee Green in your garden? I'll look into Esmeralda Golosina too.. a couple mentions there..

Thanks for the seed offer! Very kind of you.
A lot of people love Cherokee Green. I got seeds as a bonus one year from a vendor here, but they grew out purple. Someone else posted the same.
Old May 21, 2016   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yes I do,absolutely amazing will power.

Thanks for the compliment.

Carolyn
Old May 21, 2016   #21
fordido
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Agreed!!!
fordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The truly obsessive don't let cutworms defeat them. It's either a collar around the stem, or rooting a part of the original plant if one forgets the collar.

Dr Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The truly obsessive don't let cutworms defeat them. It's either a collar around the stem, or rooting a part of the original plant if one forgets the collar.

Dr Lve Apple
And the truly obsessive,which I am as well,know that a cutworm can't cut the lower stem unless it can engirdle the stem, so they know that to prevent that one has to make the stem wider by placing tooth picks,some used nails, I used small twigs from dead golden rod plants,since cut worms can come up under any collars that one can use such as tin foil, cardboard, etc.

The way to defeat the cutworms is to raise seedlings with very sturdy stems, one hopes. And yes,I've gone to my field and rescused the cut off plant,then took the top,built a wee moat next to the plant and kept it filled with water until I saw new growth. Some times my rescue missions were too late, the cut off top was too far gone,then hoped that the bottom half would regrow,and sometimes it did.

But then I seldom had just one plant of a specific variety,that's the good news.

Thanks for the memories Gary.

Carolyn
Old May 22, 2016   #24
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown Green Berkeley Tie Dye? The lady at Wolff's Apple House that runs the tomato plant section told me it was her favorite of all the heirlooms they sell and I love Pink Berkeley Tie Dye so thought I would try it.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Has anyone grown Green Berkeley Tie Dye? The lady at Wolff's Apple House that runs the tomato plant section told me it was her favorite of all the heirlooms they sell and I love Pink Berkeley Tie Dye so thought I would try it.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
If it is what I think, it's the same as Berkeley Tie Dye, which is a striped GWR, sort of. I grew it, not as good as PBTD, but not bad. YMMV, especially where you are now growing it.
Old May 22, 2016   #26
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh Marsha, you are right! Hmmm, might have to give that one away... lol. Not that it would be bad, but not one that was high on my list to try, especially with such limited space. There were so many others there that I wanted to try more.

Ginny
Old May 22, 2016   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen several varieties mentioned in this thread that I would never classify as being true GWRipes, so would some of you please share what you think a true GWRipe should be and WHY what you mentioned you think is a GWRipe .?

Carolyn, who I bet has grown more GWRipes going back to the mid to late 80's than I think anyone here has grown.
Old May 22, 2016   #28
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I am guilty. The plant i bought had green in the name and I didnt know mych about it so asked on this thread. I didnt realize it was the regular Berkeley Tie Dye since it was labled Green Berkeley Tie Dye.

Ginny
Old May 22, 2016   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I am guilty. The plant i bought had green in the name and I didnt know mych about it so asked on this thread. I didnt realize it was the regular Berkeley Tie Dye since it was labled Green Berkeley Tie Dye.

Ginny
Ginny, no you are not guilty at all,that one was already clarified above. Fact is I've been thinking of some others that have been mentioned.

Carolyn
Old May 23, 2016   #30
charline
Tomatovillian™

I am a GWR fan too!
I have lots of varieties, you can see them here http://tomatolover.de.tl/gr.ue.ne.htm

my favorites are Wild Thyme GWR, Lucinda, Absinthe and Cherokee lime stripes
cherry size : Green Doctors Frosted very sweet , Esmeralda Golosina almost too sweet

if you can get seeds of Wild Thyme GWR, grow them! absolutely fantastic !

I had high exspections in Malakhitovaya Shkatulka and was a little disappointed. It was very good but not fantastic. But I had it in a container. Will try it next year in my tunnel in direct soil.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote