Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 28, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone ever try Borage to repel Hornworm or other pests..

One of my wifes co-workers mentioned that he uses Borage plants to repel Hornworms in his tomato patch. (Wish I'd known this in the spring) Any one ever use it and see results? What other insects will it repel?

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I have grown it off and on for years, with some success. However, I also haven't been plagued with noticeable infestations of hornworms, so can't fully say if it repelled them or not.

One thing to do if you do grow them, is not let them go to seed, or you'll be finding them all over the map in your garden and lawn.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #3
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Borage attracts ladybugs and other beneficial insects including soldier beetles which eat hornwarms and their larva.
Both adults and larvae are predacious and feed on other insects. The adults eat caterpillars, aphids, and other soft-bodied insects and can be important predators. As they lie in wait for prey on flowers such as goldenrod they may feed on nectar and pollen but they do no damage to the plants. Unfortunately, they look a lot like squash bugs which are not beneficial insects.

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote