Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 28, 2013   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default Ants eating peppers

Ants are eating my bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Not the plant, the peppers. Who knew they liked it hot? I have never tried to get rid of ants as the harm they did seemed to be minimal. But, between this and their known propensity to keep aphids around, I'm done with them. Any thoughts on getting rid of ants without introducing serious chemicals into the garden? This is a raised bed, mostly surrounded by decomposed granite, so, I guess they have a mound in my bed, though I surely can't locate one. If they were off site, I'd be fine with the nuclear option and use of any type of barrier options too. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have trouble with them from time to time in my raised beds. They particularly like to settle right along the edge of the bed which makes it easy to get rid of them with Amdro. Sometimes they mound under my mulch and I just have to wait till I see where it is by following the ants back to the mound. If you keep the very small mounds baited when they appear along pathways around your beds then they rarely get into the raised beds. I frequently add a cup of molasses to my hose end sprayer when watering and I think it repels them for some reason.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote