Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 9, 2008   #16
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Bubba,
It looks like you're using a 5-gallon lid with a built-in 6" diameter mesh pot, right? Doing some research on this, I found these are available in 6", 8", and 10" mesh pots. Based on your results, do you think the 6" version is best for tomatoes? I'm thinking of trying some kind of hydroponic setup like this myself, probably a drip type system.
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2008   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bubba, here is another site I came across concerning aeroponics and using LED's for grow lights. Interesting stuff. Ami

http://www.greenpinelane.com/default.aspx
Old November 20, 2008   #18
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRock View Post
Bubba,
It looks like you're using a 5-gallon lid with a built-in 6" diameter mesh pot, right? Doing some research on this, I found these are available in 6", 8", and 10" mesh pots. Based on your results, do you think the 6" version is best for tomatoes? I'm thinking of trying some kind of hydroponic setup like this myself, probably a drip type system.
JohnnyRock:

I think any size would be fine, considering how quickly the roots grow. Whatever size you use, just remember that when you put your young plant in the mesh pot, make sure all the roots are exposed at the bottom and then covered with the expanded clay pellets.

You've got the right idea wanting to use a drip type system. I lost confidence in my spray setup after I discovered that the nozzle was clogging from the nutrients and not covering the whole root area. When this happened, the roots simply grew long enough to reach the water. This then became nothing more than a "deep water" system, not what I wanted to accomplish.

Keep an eye out for my new message that I'll put up tomorrow. I've got photos from my homemade aeroponic cloner. I'm working on the photos now.

Last edited by bigbubbacain; November 20, 2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: better info
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2008   #19
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Bubba, here is another site I came across concerning aeroponics and using LED's for grow lights. Interesting stuff. Ami

http://www.greenpinelane.com/default.aspx

Thanks Ami!

Perfect timing!

I just saw something about LED lights not too long ago. This is something I'm definitely interested in. I'm going to upload some photos tomorrow of my aero cloner. This little experiment is taking a turn for the better.

John
Old November 20, 2008   #20
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Starting a new aeroponics thread