Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 29, 2016   #2056
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, so glad to hear of your successes. We actually have a bit of fruit set here too, but of course I started later, my plants are all starting their first and second trusses. Is Dusky Rose from my seeds? If so, the full name is Dana's Dusky Rose, and I loved it's production, earlyness and flavor, plus it is a very pretty tomato. I am learning a lot from your how to do hydro thread, thanks for starting it.

Larry, you really are the broccoli master, So far I haven't even too successful with broccoli.

Have any of the Florida thread folks tried butternut squash? I have 5 seeds that all sprouted, I love it, I wonder if I can grow it in a 7 gallon pot. Any feedback will be very welcome.

Do any of you transplant cucumber seedlings successfully? I have 5 of those in a 3.5" pot, all with first true leaves, but I think I read it is directed sow because it doesn't transplant. I want to for an Earthbox that I set aside for them .
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #2057
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Wow That is amazing that your night time lows are that high. Here they are running from mid 60s to upper 60s and of course cooler temperatures are ahead.
Larry
Ours are in the 72-75 range too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #2058
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, so glad to hear of your successes. We actually have a bit of fruit set here too, but of course I started later, my plants are all starting their first and second trusses. Is Dusky Rose from my seeds? If so, the full name is Dana's Dusky Rose, and I loved it's production, earlyness and flavor, plus it is a very pretty tomato. I am learning a lot from your how to do hydro thread, thanks for starting it.

Do any of you transplant cucumber seedlings successfully? I have 5 of those in a 3.5" pot, all with first true leaves, but I think I read it is directed sow because it doesn't transplant. I want to for an Earthbox that I set aside for them .
Yes, Dana's Dusky Rose and General Lee were seeds from you (THANK YOU). I have them paired in the same EB and have a 2nd plant of each in their own RP.

RE: Cucumber seedlings - I transplant all the time, just don't let seedlings get root bound and when taking out really try not to disturb the roots. If you can get them out of the 3.5" pots totally intact you will not have any problems.
Sometimes I use broken pots and just cut them. Another way I do them is use the soft cardboard strawberry containers and just peel them away. Lately I've just been using the 4.5" square pots without problems.

I started some of my seedlings on 8/18, others on 9/1 and some on 9/7.

My Black from Tula is one of my later ones that has fruit already.

And Kelloggs Breakfast in the EB started later also has several flower

BTW - The Raspberry Miracle plant I got from your swap has 2 flowers already.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2016   #2059
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Barb and Marsha,
Thank you for you nice Broccoli comments. As soon as it gets light here, I'm going to go pick Jade Bush Snap Beans. I have 3 varieties of Bush Snap Beans and while they don't appear diseased they currently are producing much. But there still is time, maybe they will work out before it gets too cold.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2016   #2060
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So cool everyone is getting fruit set. And Larry thats amazing anout the broccoli as usual.

Barb, my ICD had about 6-10 tomaotes on it before the storm and i made sure to put it behind an outdoor cabinet that blocked the north winds which were the worst winds in our area. The ICD lost most of its leaves but the tomatoes hung on and have now started to ripen. The leaves and blooms are slowly making a comeback in ICD. It was one of the slowest to rebound but it did lose the most leaves.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2016   #2061
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

RE: Weather

Tuesday 10/25 was our last cool night - High 80 - Low 68
Wed, Thursday 10/26 & 27 - High 82 - Low 76
Friday 10/28 High 82 - Low 74
Saturday 10/29 High 82 - Low 76

with the same trend to follow through Weds.

The only good thing is that humidity has been so much lower since the storm and is staying in the 60s. Hopefully with the lower humidity and buzzing, I can still get fruit set. Will know in the next few days since any fruit set since 10/25 would have been noticed and recorded yesterday when I made the rounds.
Old October 31, 2016   #2062
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

Please post an updated photo of your plants. I want to see how large they are getting in this weather. Mine seem like they are growing faster than other winters but its been so warm.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 31, 2016   #2063
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha,

Please post an updated photo of your plants. I want to see how large they are getting in this weather. Mine seem like they are growing faster than other winters but its been so warm.

Ginny
I would love to see pics too.

I think the tomato plants LOVE this weather; warm but not too warm, intense sun, lower humidity, it's been really dry here. The beefstakes that set fruit are really putting on size. I think I'm still way ahead of last year.

My cherry tomatoes are past the cage height already (54"). Ones in the EB are are past the 48" cage too. I will try to take pictures.

Ginny - did you eat the ICD's yet? Comments? I have one tomato that looks the same color as the pic you just posted.

Off to buzz and water.
Old October 31, 2016   #2064
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

These are the tomato plants that weathered the storm.

Below are the teenagers that i transplanted after the storm. I hadnt transplanted them all yet, and then held off when I found out the storm was coming. So the ones that rode out the storm and looked like goners just after the storm have bounced back and are farther ahead than the ones that were safe during the storm and planted afterwards.

Also I dont have the fert strip in yet since they arent covered yet. Since hubby is home now we will do that this week by cutting the covers in half and then taping them together real good rather than going over the plants since they are too big.

Ginny

Our pontoon boat with the morning sunrise in the background.. :-)

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 31, 2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old October 31, 2016   #2065
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - Great Pics. The tomato plants that weathered the storm are amazing. I too stopped transplanting several days before the storm and didn't start again until several days after the storm. Too much to do with yard cleanup. FEMA is picking up the yard debris and still hasn't come so our pile along with lots of people on my street is huge.

What are you feeding the plants in the EB without the covers? Have you considered skipping the fert strip and just keep doing what you are doing.
Old October 31, 2016   #2066
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I am dosing them with one or two tablespoons of TTF every other day. When I was in Philly, I used only TTF on the 3 tomato plants that were in 7 gallon swc pots. I had to water the tiny reservoirs 3 times a day and I put in 1 tablespoon of TTF during one watering every day for about 4 or 5 days and then no TTF for 2 to 3 days, and repeat. The Wes plant ended up with just under 50 tomatoes on it with at least 5 weighing over a pound and quite a few at 3/4 pound or higher. I didnt get total weight because we had to cut a lot off that were green towards the end because we left that house on Sept 30th and the second round of fruit set (after we topped the plants) didnt have time to mature. So yes I have actually been thinking about just using TTF and no fert strip. I'm just a little concerned about salt buildup from so much TTF being sucked up. But I really love the results and I dont mind the monster plants because I feel like when I do a fairly heavy trim every few weeks it makes the plants go into survival mode and make more blossoms and set more fruit.

If you notice AkMark and that guy that Larry posted a link to... their plants have way more tomatoes and less leaves than most people's plants. Some people say they need the bushy leaves but I think trim the leaves every couple of weeks and you get more and more tomatoes. At least it seems like it to me. Not all the leaves but maybe 1/5 to a 1/4 of them.

Heres the plants I'm referring to that got only TTF and hubby had to attach the electric toothbrush to a bamboo pole so we could reach the blossoms... lol. He's 6'1" tall.

Dang why do I get so long winded?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 31, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old October 31, 2016   #2067
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Have any of the Florida thread folks tried butternut squash? I have 5 seeds that all sprouted, I love it, I wonder if I can grow it in a 7 gallon pot. Any feedback will be very welcome.
I grew a crooked neck winter squash and it grew very nicely, but it was during that rain period so a lot of fruits didn't pollinate, and I think too wet causes some fruits to rot. Not sure how much you can get out of 7 gallon container though. I'm growing more now.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #2068
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics

White Cucumber in the Cucumber spot

ICD tomato plant and same one showing blossoms

Cherry Tomato Corner - mostly ICD, Painted Pink, 1 SunGold, 1 Brad Gates Mix (BGM)

(Ginny - Did you find BGM to be productive? My plant is thriving but lacks toms compared to every other cherry - Maybe it is just later).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Cucumber plant in location (400x300).jpg (63.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ICD -tons and blooms everywhere (300x400).jpg (74.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ICD on 10-31 (300x400).jpg (71.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry Toms backyard (400x300).jpg (73.8 KB, 38 views)
Old October 31, 2016   #2069
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes on East side - one on left is Solar Flare (from Marsha's swap)

Dana's Dusky Rose in Root Pouch - has several tomatoes and potential for a lot more

Wild Fred over 10 tomatoes already
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group shot east side (400x200).jpg (58.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Dana Dusky Rose RP (300x400).jpg (75.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Wild Fred with over 10 tomatoes (277x400).jpg (73.7 KB, 36 views)
Old October 31, 2016   #2070
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Raspberry Miracle from Marsha's Swap

Raspberry Miracle on right from Marsha's Swap

Brandy Boy Tomatoes