Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old February 14, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default Question On My Heirloom Choises?

I am thinking about Planting, Black Krim, Regular Brandywine, and Cherokee Purple. I live in zone 7 any thoughts on these three plants at all, positive or negative? Thanks in advance, Beale.

EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure where you are in Va but both Red Brandywine and Cherokee Purple would grow well where I am. Can't comment on Black Krim.
Old February 14, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Beale, please don't take this the wrong way but I'm wondering why you are asking about those varieties in the LEgacy Forum since none of them are legacies of yore.

If you look at the other threads in the Legacy Forum I think you'll see what I mean, but no real problem since I'm sure some will answer you as Shelley did although I think it might have been better to start a thread in General Discussion where more folks might have seen it.

Carolyn
Old February 14, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well I looked and yes they are all fine choices, you cant go wrong with any of them.
Most of the time I just look at the new posts and go from there.
But as Carolyn said it would be better in the general discussion section not all people are like me.
Thank god.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #5
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

OK I am sorry I amstill learning my way around the Forum, Beale,
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #6
lrussillo
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Northern VA. Black Krim and Cherokee do well here--the Brandywines do not. Another gardener from NVA says the same about the Brandywines. Others that did well are Ozark Pink, Arkansas Traveler (if you like it--I don't), and Carbon (though in a rainy year it would be a good idea to put plastic over the ground around it to keep it from getting too much water). Basawaya and Rouge D'Iraq did really well too--though I don't like the taste of either of those.
lrussillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #7
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps it was just me, or my particular plant; I didn't find the black krim's to be anything worth writing home about..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #8
lrussillo
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Last season I grew one from seed that I had saved--either from a plant I bought or one I planted from seed in 2012--forget the company, either Botanical Interests or SESE. It was very good--then I planted some more from the same company, seed packet from 2013. The second group grew really well, but I didn't like the taste. So, I am growing them again from saved seed from the first. Am also trying one from seed from Johnny's. I think there is a lot of variation depending on the seed source, who grew out the seed, where it was grown, etc. If a plant grows really well, I'll try growing another seed to see how it tastes. Or if it tastes really good but doesn't grow so well, I'll try again. Have limited space, and of course my eyes are way bigger than my garden, and I want to try this one, and that one, and hey look at that one....
Old April 29, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrussillo View Post
I'm in Northern VA. Black Krim and Cherokee do well here--the Brandywines do not. Another gardener from NVA says the same about the Brandywines. Others that did well are Ozark Pink, Arkansas Traveler (if you like it--I don't), and Carbon (though in a rainy year it would be a good idea to put plastic over the ground around it to keep it from getting too much water). Basawaya and Rouge D'Iraq did really well too--though I don't like the taste of either of those.
I don't know which Brandywines do not do well for you but there is a Brandywine that DOES do well in warmer areas.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B..._(Off_The_Vine)

I don't like most of the pictures posted at Tania's page and that b'c as she notes I was the one who dehybrididized that natural cross that happened in Craig's garden and I know what it should look like.

It is NOT totally Brandywine, being a cross, but then some of the other ones Tania lists are not totally brandywines either.

My brother and family moved in 2005 to NC, which is south of you and he can grow, and successfully, any variety he wants to.

And I know that OTV Brandywine does do better than other Brandywines in southern areas b/c of the several message sites I've participated at in the past and reading/posting there.

So it would help if you could share with us which specific Brandywine you were growing, the three best known are the Red, the Yellow, and the Pink, and they are not related to each other.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old April 29, 2015   #10
lrussillo
Tomatovillian™

I grew a Black Brandywine in 2012 and an OTV Brandywine in 2014.
They were not strong plants and I got very few tomatoes. They tasted good--but not good enough for me to try growing them again. Purple Cherokee did really well, as did Carbon (an 11-foot monster). I always grow more than one Pink Berkeley (love them) though they have a hard time here, and will try Belmonte (Franchi seed) again--it was spectacular, though the plant didn't do that well and I only got a few.
Old July 4, 2015   #11
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

I loved, loved, LOVED the pink Brandywine I got from SSE but you are right: only a handful of toms on each plant. But maybe all that flavor is concentrated in those few tomatoes which is why they taste so amazing.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #12
johnhamilton1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
I'm not sure where you are in Va but both Red Brandywine and Cherokee Purple would grow well where I am. Can't comment on Black Krim.
I have two Brandy Wine Red plants this year and the stink bugs seem to love them as the fruit ripens, but so far haven't bothered my other varieties. Have you had a stink bug problem?
johnhamilton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #13
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

The word of the day: Sevin.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote