Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 2, 2014   #16
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Man those T8 bulbs heat things up. Right now its 72 under the bulbs. (the soil is about 3 inches below the fixture and before I turned on the lights, it was 57 . Will see if removing Styrofoam makes the temperature more acceptable. I think I read that for cold treatment, I should keep it under 60 all the time.

chalstonsc, the seedlings are 4 ft off the ground on a wooden shelf. And I think once I figure out how to cool things down when lights are on, garage is going to work just fine.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #17
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Time to break out the oscillating fan! That will help them grow fat and strong.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #18
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

So the seedlings are getting cold treatment for a week now. The temperatures ranged between 50 and 65 during this week. The upcoming week, I think they will range between 60 and 75, since its going to be warmer outside. They also went out in sun for an hour. Outside temp was about 65 at that time. Some fungus is growing on the grow media. Don't yet know how to manage that. How do they look for a week of potted-ness? Would they be ready to be planted out in 4 weeks? (I am guessing not). They are couple inches tall at this point.

Old April 13, 2014   #19
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Looking pretty good to me for a week. Can't comment on the fungus. Maybe sun will kill it. Have you "hardened" the plants,i.e. exposed them gradullay to increasing amounts of sun? Don't worry about the size with four weeks to go. They grow fast in warmer weather
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #20
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Cold treatment certainly has not hurt the plants. Update in this thread.