Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2016   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Check out my lights please

This is the light fitting I have for starting or growing short things through the winter. I think the bulbs are T8 or T5, whichever is the oldest. I have heard somewhere that the newer one is better does anyone know if I can upgrade/ Also are their any suggestions as to how I can increase the light from the back or sides with something reflective to give more light.One more thing, Each layer gives me about 18 inches when the lights are at their highest which is not a lot when things are in pots. If I remove one light and tray I have a much taller area, it has a metal support bar running across the length, would I then be able to use it for some taller things or would the light not be enough.

It is great for starting and transplants and I can grow salad greens and some micro toms but I am restricted. Any ideas would be welcome.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a set up that will do what I want it to do I would be obliged if you could let me know.

I should add this picture is from the place I bought it and not my room, I don't have the natural light coming in as shown on the picture here, in fact I have very little natural light coming in, The fitting is in basement , it is in front of a window but it is not a huge one and it really only shines on to the top tray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vesey;s light.jpg (129.7 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; June 16, 2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: extra info
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote