Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old June 20, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall Herbs

Hi All,

I know many people in Sacramento grow parsley and cilantro as part of their Fall crop. Are there any other herbs that I should add to this list for my garden?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-basil, marjoram, thyme, oregano and sage.
Old June 20, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

Thank you. Basil usually last me from summer to first frost (sometime beween Thanksgiving and X-mas). I have Mexican oregano popping out of my ears. Every year, my great-uncle gives many of us a huge mason jar full of it. I just picked up this years can. I still haven't made a dent in last year's containter.

I have never tasted marjoram. I might check it out.

I am the official thyme and sage killer -three years in a row. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I bring it home, transplant it, it lives a couple of weeks, then it dies. Help.

DH is a big lover of fennel, so I decided to add it to my list. I absolutely hate the stuff. DH and I frequent a made to order salad bar. You should see my drama when they "accidently give me his salad and I bite into that horrid bulb. Not a pretty sight.

On a lighter note. Cheers and thanks.

Angelique
Old June 20, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-you might go to growitalian.com and look at the herbs he has-doesnt have marjoram. Dont remember where I got my package, but I like it better than oregano for pizza and pasta, etc. Maybe seeds of change has marjoram.
Old June 20, 2006   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Michael. I'll add it to my grow list.
Old June 20, 2006   #6
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

angelique, give lemon thyme a try. It doesn't need much water. The flavor is heavenly in many different dishes. It is the one herb I have to have...so thankfully I haven't had to replant it for 3 yrs now. It just keeps getting bigger.
Old June 20, 2006   #7
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I have killed lemon basil two years in a row. I think my mistake (both years) was planting it between my tomatoes like basil. Maybe next year, I'll give it a try.

Have you ever been to Newcastle Produce? If not you should really check it out on your visit this August. They are a specialty shop (teas-loose leaf blends, spices, noodles, and LOTS AND LOTS of sauces). It's small but very much worth visiting. They also sell sandwiches, desserts, dips (artichoke, pesto), veggy and pasta salads.

To make a short story long, about a month ago, I bought a large bag of lemon basil while I was there. I love lemon basil on chicken and fish. Yum Yum.
Old June 21, 2006   #8
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

angelique, we are probably not going to Morningsun Herb Farm on Sunday, so maybe that would be a fun place to stop at. Is Newcastle a town? (don't have a map handy) Near Roseville?

Maybe you overwatered the lemon thyme. I pretty much ignore it and give it water when it looks like it needs it. Yes, on chicken and fish, YUM! I've used it in pork chile too. Gives an interesting aroma...definitely different.
Old June 21, 2006   #9
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

Newcastle is about 13 miles N/E of Roseville on HWY 80. Here is a link to Newcastle produce. http://www.newcastleproduce.net/ DH and I stop off there on our way to Auburn (Eisley's Nursery, movies, etc.) or Grass Valley. They have a small deli with a few tables...But it is definitely not a "sit down" restaurant.

Cheers,

Angelique