Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 15, 2015   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default coffee chaff two

About a week ago I was given a copy of the August/September Organic Gardening magazine. It listed coffee chaff as a mulch that leaches allelopathic chemicals into the soil. I had tilled some chaff into one bed. The lettuce I planted there seems OK, but now I have an explanation why the radishes never came up, even when replanted. I have enough plants to put there now that I know.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'll try it. Maybe it will make the nut grass easier to pull up as well.... Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

A number of years ago my sister told me she had a source for coffee grounds and asked me if I wanted some. I said sure, just dump what she doesn't want in the back garden.

Two days later I go out to the garden and there is a four foot tall mound of coffee grounds AND hundreds of filters. <--I was pretty peeved about the filters.

I spread them around and had no new weeds in that area that year but the good plants didn't grow well either. The next year the weeds were back but not as many and the plants did a little better. Year three growing was back to normal. Soil texture is nice.

The moral? If you sister wants to give you coffee grounds have her dump them in the driveway so its easy to spread them thin.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
A number of years ago my sister told me she had a source for coffee grounds and asked me if I wanted some. I said sure, just dump what she doesn't want in the back garden.

Two days later I go out to the garden and there is a four foot tall mound of coffee grounds AND hundreds of filters. <--I was pretty peeved about the filters.

I spread them around and had no new weeds in that area that year but the good plants didn't grow well either. The next year the weeds were back but not as many and the plants did a little better. Year three growing was back to normal. Soil texture is nice.

The moral? If you sister wants to give you coffee grounds have her dump them in the driveway so its easy to spread them thin.
four foot tall! That is surely proof that it is possible to have too much of a good thing!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #5
4season
Tomatovillian™

Before Starbucks had their "grounds for gardeners" program I used to fish the bags of grounds out of the dumpster. Screened out all sorts of trash.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote