Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 17, 2015   #16
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Yea I use a lot of leaf mulch myself, but I shred and blend it with grass clippings to promote bacterial dominance in the soil (veggies prefer nitrates rather than ammonium)..

Ya know, I've been reading about Russian Comfrey (Bocking 14 cultivar) and I've been mulling over whether or not to plant some.. I just need to find an acceptable spot in the yard because I know that once you plant it, it's there for good lol..

I occasionally throw some castings in when brewing a tea to further increase diversity, but haven't gotten into vermicomposting just yet.. in time I'm sure I will.. To the great discomfort of the Mrs of course lol . .
I'm intentionally growing one of the less intrusive comfreys and I am always telling my wife how beautiful it is. It helps that one of our neighbors also grows comfrey in their front yard to make herbal remedies. I'm always pointing out to her how our neighbors do all kinds of gardening things that she tells me are unattractive.

I buried 2 perforated 5 gal buckets which I fill with whatever compostables we have. The worms eat all that and aerate my beds. I planted my comfrey just outside the perimeter of these buckets so it is pulling in some of the deep nutrients from the compost bucket and hiding the bucket. I would recommend doing that. So ar it seems to be a really good idea.

I haven't harvested the comfrey much because I'm trying to let it get established but I did pull off some of the deficient growth (it came like that) and it definitely helped the plants I put it around.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #17
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have some advice.
Contrary to popular belief I feel you would be better off using Plant Tone it is 5-3-3.
You need more nitrogen than you do the others as the plant uses more of it.
This is my first year using it and it has done wonders.

The other is a question.
Are you sure it isn't a flow problem and not pressure with your water.
And are you on a well?

I would be happy to help you with this.
Put a gauge on your faucet and see what the pressure is with the water turned off.
This is called static pressure.

Worth
I followed Worth's advice last fall for my garden using Cotton Seed Meal and have a great looking garden with many blooms and green tomatos.I also used some Garden Tone with the CSM.Thank you again Worth.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
I followed Worth's advice last fall for my garden using Cotton Seed Meal and have a great looking garden with many blooms and green tomatos.I also used some Garden Tone with the CSM.Thank you again Worth.
Your more than welcome glad everything is doing great.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #19
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Where do you find CSM? How much is it? how do you apply it? And in con★★★★★★★★ with Gardentone?
Old June 18, 2015   #20
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Where do you find CSM? How much is it? how do you apply it? And in con★★★★★★★★ with Gardentone?
I bought a 50lb. bag for $16 at a Feed store,I used 15 lb.for my 200 sq.ft garden and 1 1/2 lb of garden tone.National Cotton seed product association website has some great information.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote