Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 29, 2013   #1
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default Beware of sewage-sludge compost

Jennifer Abram, RN
Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I read the story regarding the Hailey sewer and the sewage sludge issue (“Hailey sewer plant bond could reach $3M,” March 13). I have family in Blaine County but I live in Pittsfield, Ohio. We are fighting the EPA’s “biosolids program,” through which companies are contaminating our lands and our food source with the sludge from wastewater treatment plants.

There is a terrible bacteria called E. coli that does not respond to any antibiotics and is found in sludge from sewage plants. There are also dangerous proteins called “prions” in the sludge, which the February issue of the Federal Register called a “new life form.” They cannot be killed easily and are killing our people. The World Health Organization is now looking into them as a cause of autism, ADD/ADHD, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

The spread of this stuff on fields, golf courses, lawns, etc. is contaminating our water and our crops. The companies that reuse this sludge on our lands are paid to take the sludge away from the sewage plant, but give it away free to unknowing, uninformed farmers and gardeners. The sludge also contains toxic metals and pharmaceuticals.

The fight involves these so-called “soil scientists” who are making millions making compost out of this stuff and selling it at 1,000 percent profit. When you buy any compost, make sure it does not have the word “bio” in it, which means human fecal sludge. The EPA decided to decrease awareness by coining phrases like “bio,” “organic compost” and “biosolids,” all of which are toxic. Why? Cities save money by not incinerating the sludge. It is all about lobbyists and big money.

Here are two eye-opening websites to check out:  HYPERLINK "http://www.sludgefacts.org/" \t "_blank" www.sludgefacts.org and
 HYPERLINK "http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/cre-cdc/" \t "_blank" www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/cre-cdc/.

Sickness is coming from our water and we’re eating it in our vegetables and fruits grown in this sludge! We need help in stopping this practice. Ask questions. Protect your beautiful community and your children!

Jennifer Abram, RN

SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I worked for a neurosurgeon in 2000 whose specialty of research was prions. He thought they caused mad cow disease and chronic wasting disease. They are proteins that can live in your brain for decades with no symptoms, but then for unknown reasons at some point they will decide to multiply and cause the host a miserable and incurable death within a few days.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Don't believe everything you read. That post has so many 1/2 truths and misinformation mixed in with legit concerns that it looses credibility.

Anti-biotic resistant e-coli (pathogen strains) is a product of factory farming livestock. ie CAFO's, not human waste. Also the "prions" are not a "new life form" LOLZ Not everything with "bio" is sludge! LOLZ "Certified Organic" compost CAN'T use human waste so that's simply false. Biosolids are treated sludge. So it depends on the treatment if it is toxic or not. Pretty much the whole article smells (pun intended) of a typical propaganda piece.

Of course that doesn't mean that all biosolids are safe either. There are plenty of "biosolids" that are not properly treated and applied to conventional agriculture. (not certified organic)

The primary reason biosolids are not allowed in organic is because of the other things in sludge besides human waste. Human waste is fine when composted properly. Municipal sludge contains lots of other things besides human waste.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP Gro-Tubs View Post
Jennifer Abram, RN
Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I read the story regarding the Hailey sewer and the sewage sludge issue (“Hailey sewer plant bond could reach $3M,” March 13). I have family in Blaine County but I live in Pittsfield, Ohio. We are fighting the EPA’s “biosolids program,” through which companies are contaminating our lands and our food source with the sludge from wastewater treatment plants.

There is a terrible bacteria called E. coli that does not respond to any antibiotics and is found in sludge from sewage plants. There are also dangerous proteins called “prions” in the sludge, which the February issue of the Federal Register called a “new life form.” They cannot be killed easily and are killing our people. The World Health Organization is now looking into them as a cause of autism, ADD/ADHD, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

The spread of this stuff on fields, golf courses, lawns, etc. is contaminating our water and our crops. The companies that reuse this sludge on our lands are paid to take the sludge away from the sewage plant, but give it away free to unknowing, uninformed farmers and gardeners. The sludge also contains toxic metals and pharmaceuticals.

The fight involves these so-called “soil scientists” who are making millions making compost out of this stuff and selling it at 1,000 percent profit. When you buy any compost, make sure it does not have the word “bio” in it, which means human fecal sludge. The EPA decided to decrease awareness by coining phrases like “bio,” “organic compost” and “biosolids,” all of which are toxic. Why? Cities save money by not incinerating the sludge. It is all about lobbyists and big money.

Here are two eye-opening websites to check out:  HYPERLINK "http://www.sludgefacts.org/" \t "_blank" www.sludgefacts.org and
 HYPERLINK "http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/cre-cdc/" \t "_blank" www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/cre-cdc/.

Sickness is coming from our water and we’re eating it in our vegetables and fruits grown in this sludge! We need help in stopping this practice. Ask questions. Protect your beautiful community and your children!

Jennifer Abram, RN

You think THAT's bad, wait till you hear what they do with municipal wastewater!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #5
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick glance, but it would seem that the biggest problem with biosolids is additional contamination in the sludge, not the sludge itself. Having said that, once you mix human waste with toxins it is difficult to unmix them.

In an ideal world, sludge would be disposed of on-site and not mixed with anything toxic. I believe it is used that way in some third world countries and is not a problem for them.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #6
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default Certified Organic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Don't believe everything you read. That post has so many 1/2 truths and misinformation mixed in with legit concerns that it looses credibility.

Anti-biotic resistant e-coli (pathogen strains) is a product of factory farming livestock. ie CAFO's, not human waste. Also the "prions" are not a "new life form" LOLZ Not everything with "bio" is sludge! LOLZ "Certified Organic" compost CAN'T use human waste so that's simply false. Biosolids are treated sludge. So it depends on the treatment if it is toxic or not. Pretty much the whole article smells (pun intended) of a typical propaganda piece.

Of course that doesn't mean that all biosolids are safe either. There are plenty of "biosolids" that are not properly treated and applied to conventional agriculture. (not certified organic)

The primary reason biosolids are not allowed in organic is because of the other things in sludge besides human waste. Human waste is fine when composted properly. Municipal sludge contains lots of other things besides human waste.
Scott

So what is your definition of "Certified Organic Compost"

Who certifies it "Organic"?

Can you certify that all the ingredients used are from a "Organic" source?

The best place to put something that is harmful to the enviroment, and the population, is to sequestor it into a product everyone is wanting.

Next time you go to buy Organic compost, ask the person selling it for a complete "Chemical Analysis" and a "MSDS" sheet of the product.

Good Luck, you'd have a better chance of winnig the Lottery.

Terry
Old May 30, 2013   #7
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Waaaay back before we knew about these things I picked up a load of aged sewage sludge from our small local community. The waste plant employee told me to get the sludge that had set out for a few years in a different area than where the hot stuff was. Anyway I spread it over my vegetable garden and tilled it in. It turned the clay like soil into a ich and mellow soil. I have never had a better garden to this day. Plants were huge and produced more than I have ever had. No diseases. I had volunteer tomatoes popping up every where. I let one grow without staking or gaging and I swear it covered at least a 10' circle with tons of cherry tomatoes. Well another friend told me later only to use the sludge on ornamentals because there were heavy metals (lead, zinc, etc) in the sludge that would manifest itself in the fruit that you eat. So I never used it again. But that was when I was around 22 and am now 68. It doesn't look like it affected me affected me affected me...
Old May 30, 2013   #8
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceke View Post
Waaaay back before we knew about these things I picked up a load of aged sewage sludge from our small local community.

What was the population back then, 46 years ago?

In 2010 it was less than 19,000.

What industries were there then, was using the central sewage plant?

The waste plant employee told me to get the sludge that had set out for a few years in a different area than where the hot stuff was.

that was so that your garden wouldn't sprout a tomato plant ever 1/4 sq. inch. The human body can't digest tomato seeds.

Anyway I spread it over my vegetable garden and tilled it in. It turned the clay like soil into a ich and mellow soil. I have never had a better garden to this day. Plants were huge and produced more than I have ever had. No diseases. I had volunteer tomatoes popping up every where. I let one grow without staking or gaging and I swear it covered at least a 10' circle with tons of cherry tomatoes. Well another friend told me later only to use the sludge on ornamentals because there were heavy metals (lead, zinc, etc) in the sludge that would manifest itself in the fruit that you eat.

The sewage plants have Analysis's and MSDS sheets for all thier products, ask them for a current one.

Ur a small community sewer system, what most articles for the BioSolids being unsafe are for large industrill cities that have the industrial waste mixed in with the Bio-Poo.

By the way composting with Humaure is now taking on the new nave of Bio-Poo. Everybody is jumping on the Bio wagon.

Terry Layman

So I never used it again. But that was when I was around 22 and am now 68. It doesn't look like it affected me affected me affected me...
Old May 30, 2013   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I used to use paper mill sludge where I used to garden. That is some dark organic fluffy stuff!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #10
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Gardener View Post
Just a quick glance, but it would seem that the biggest problem with biosolids is additional contamination in the sludge, not the sludge itself. Having said that, once you mix human waste with toxins it is difficult to unmix them.

In an ideal world, sludge would be disposed of on-site and not mixed with anything toxic. I believe it is used that way in some third world countries and is not a problem for them.
The inlet pipe to most sewage plants is 4-6' or larger in diameter, square, oblong, or rectangle.

Their is spider work of collection pipes thru-out the city.

Most are hooked to homes, but some to Industrial plants, Hospitals, etc.

How would you propose they seperate all that from the Inlet of the sewage plant?

Terry
Old May 30, 2013   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Scott

So what is your definition of "Certified Organic Compost"

Who certifies it "Organic"?

USDA has an organic certification program, municipal sludge or biosolids is specifically banned.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #12
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Obviously there's a huge difference between what we're putting into the system now as opposed to a hundred years ago.

But you have to do SOMETHING with it. It's not like there will be any less of it in the future, or we can stop making it!

I would advocate researching ways to make it safer, and to create knowledgeable consumers who understand the content and concerns. And increased testing for things like heavy metals, drugs, and sickness causing bugs.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #13
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There are also dangerous proteins called “prions” in the sludge, which the February issue of the Federal Register called a “new life form.” They cannot be killed easily and are killing our people. The World Health Organization is now looking into them as a cause of autism, ADD/ADHD, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
I would like to see peer reviewed research on that, would you please provide links to such information? ADD/ADHD, Alzheimers and autism have significant genetic linkage. It's a bit of a big claim to try and attribute all cases of it it to prion infection. While neuro-degenerative diseases and prion diseases may have similarities does it not mean they have the same cause. Not to mention ADD/ADHD and Autism aren't fatal neuro-degenerative diseases, so they don't fit.

Prions aren't new, they were discovered back in the 60's if memory serves.

Last edited by Vespertino; May 30, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #14
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I used to use paper mill sludge where I used to garden. That is some dark organic fluffy stuff!
With all the mini-brewers popping up, go to one and ask what they do with the old mash, makes great compost.

Terry Layman
Old May 31, 2013   #15
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Anybody that has seen rural parts of Asia as I have probably at one time or another seen someone with a yoke across their back with two 5 gal containers filled with human waste being put on the rice fields. Surprised me but they had nice healthy rice plants. Probably sold some of it back in the USA.