Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 9, 2015   #16
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

The only thing you are doing wrong is not asking hubby to use his big strong oh my muscles to turn the compost a little each time he adds more leaves. It is making compost for you so it is working just fine. Keep trying to add some browns when you think of it.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #17
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
The first thing I would want to know is how dry is the pile? As habitat gardener pointed out it should have a decent level of moisture. Not soaked but definately not dry either. I would also stop adding new materials to that particular pile and let those materials fully compost. I have room for several piles so I make piles spring and Fall and have a bin for kitchen scraps. I never stop collecting materials but with the exception of my kitchen scrap compost I do not continuously add them to actively composting piles.There are many different thoughts on how to compost. I am a pile turner. You don't have to be, but that's what works for me. I collect materials and make a large pile all at once. I then let the pile start decomposing for 3-4 weeks and then I turn it. Turning it helps get oxygen to the microbes that are working to break down the pile. When I turn it I try to put the top layers on the bottom and the bottom layers on the top. If I notice there are dry spots when I'm turning I water them with a watering can. I then cover the pile with landscape fabric to protect it from heavy rains. I repeat this process again in another 4-5 weeks. Unless I feel particularly ambitious I will not turn the pile again until early the following Spring or Fall. Although the pile I made this Spring will not be completely broken down until the following spring (will definately break down faster for you in TN) I can sift plenty of useable compost from the pile in the Fall. I think Composting takes a little experience and trial and error. And I know it takes time and patience. Don't get discouraged, it is definately worth the effort.

Glenn
I agree with Glenn. Most compost piles are too dry. Rain does not soak into the middle, normally. Wetten, and turn. Wetten, and turn. Wetten, and turn. I make large compost piles of 5 feet high X 8 feet across, and keeping them moist is the most important element.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #18
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

mari.beth you have created a wonderful opportunity, so forgive me if this doesn't help directly but below is the answers to the questions I had when I was in the same situation.

My key indicator is internal temperature (there are others, but I like this one) - less than 100 degrees for cold piles. For these piles, the brown and green materials are less optimally sized and distributed; this is the way nature does it without our help. Bugs will be there - someone's gotta move things around and break stuff down.

If more than 100 degrees its time to think about hot composting- we humans have made the materials just right so we have to manage it by adding water if needed, stirring/turning, adding greens or browns. Why do I go by temperature? The more available nutrients (browns/greens, air, and water), the hotter the pile gets from microbial activity. Turning the pile shuffles the browns and greens and makes it more likely they will be in the right place at the right time to further decomposition and regulate the temperature. There is a threshold where the aerobic organisms will use up the air and collapse if not turned. It is a messy and smelly disaster as the anaerobic organisms take over the job. Again, temp will indicate when this is approaching. Commercial composers can control enough of the processes that they can take their pile close without going over. This means materials break down really quickly. It is best to hot compost in batches since continually adding materials means it is harder to know if you are doing things right. Plus it will be difficult to separate the finished from the unfinished among other things.

Last edited by shatbox; April 9, 2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add stuff
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote