Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old November 9, 2014   #16
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, they're still huge! I'll know better next time. Anyways, as you can see, 2 pics show the curling. The last one shows an unaffected, newer branch from the same plant. The culred leaves are not dry, burned, or fragile. Only 1 plant out of at least 8.
Thanks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2014   #17
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I can see photos and when leaves curl down it is usually a root problem. My guess is too wet, but you live in a hot area, so that may not be correct. It may be heat damage? On the first photo the fifth leaf down. has slight purple, man that looks just like a pepper plant when overwatered. Stress to the roots, a for sure sign. i would say it is a root problem, exactly what? Not sure?
Another possibility is the PH is actually too low. below 3.8.

I grow honeyberries, but in a challenging location. I have not got fruit yet, plants are small. But again they are in an extreme environment. So I expect very slow growth. When i move I will add more at my new house. Seem like very cool plants. i have three plants

Last edited by drew51; November 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2014   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm stumped. I do get leaf curl with the very tips of the leaves turning brown on a few varieties (all northern highbush). This only happens with temps at about 100 degrees.

Nourse Farms once had an "Ask The Berry Man" web site. They are experts on northern highbushes. I don't know if they could help you with your southern varieties. But they are only an email away.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2014   #19
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Damage to one branch and not another also points to roots.
Old November 10, 2014   #20
peebee
Tomatovillian™

So if all the new branches have normal leaves and the older curled ones are still strong on the plant, it sounds like the possible root damage is now gone? What exactly does this root damage look like--shriveled, covered in fungus, discolored..? I'll consider repotting this one plant into another pot.

I looked at the plant again today, it really looks fine except for the curls. I'll be curious to see if they have normal berries next year, if the weather permits and I'm able to see any fruit from any of my plants.

Thanks everyone who helped!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
So if all the new branches have normal leaves and the older curled ones are still strong on the plant, it sounds like the possible root damage is now gone? What exactly does this root damage look like--shriveled, covered in fungus, discolored..? I'll consider repotting this one plant into another pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post

I looked at the plant again today, it really looks fine except for the curls. I'll be curious to see if they have normal berries next year, if the weather permits and I'm able to see any fruit from any of my plants.

Thanks everyone who helped!
You have a good point about the new branches. I would expect though that the old should recover. That throws me off. I think I would just let it go see what happens. new normal growth is encouraging, if it's not broke don't fix it.
If you decide to repot, all you mention to roots. Discolored, rotten, dark spots, and tumors. Sometimes when only part of a root is damaged, only part of the plant shows damage, thus my earlier comment. Other times no symptoms. I'm far from an expert. I have seen a few diseases on many plants but far from every disease. Normal good growth could show whatever was the problem is gone. I still think it could be to heat. I like to use light colored pots, or fabric bags.
Most leaf disease are not that serious on blueberries, so mabe it's just a leaf disease that petered out.
Otherwise besides the curl the plant is a good color and all, looks good! Not always easy to grow these. Keep us updated on progress. As we all learn something from it.

Last edited by drew51; November 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM.