Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 11, 2009   #61
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sht View Post
hi I'm in z7 nj. I planted 4 hard neck types this past oct but only the germ white has sproted this far. Are the other 3 dead or are the just waiting for spring?
Thanks Jesse
The other three are probably fine. I planted most of mine 10/19 and only about a third sprouted before the snow and freezing temps arrived.

You're in NJ zone 7, right? I'm in zone 5, I see my top growth really take off in mid March. I'd worry if you don't see top growth in late February or early March.

Be sure to give them a good balanced feed, but higher in nitrogen, early on, late February, early March. Feed every two weeks. Then, back off the high nitrogen early to middle of April, use somthing higher in P and K, and stop fertilizing altogether around Mother's Day. Don't water in June and harvest in July.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2009   #62
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I only use bokashi composting for my garlic-works great.
Old January 12, 2009   #63
sht
Tomatovillian™

south nj east of Philly. and thanks for the tips( I need them) it's my first year trying garlic
Jesse
sht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2009   #64
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

This year i`m seeing the result of stringent selection over the last 20 years,whats in the photo is some of what i will use for replanting in the coming season.Once i have sorted the remaining crop i will go back through these top bulbs selecting only bulbs that maintain even size to the center segments for the planting.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2010   #65
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

I'm in CT and never grown garlic. Is it too late to plant it? If not, what variety would you reccomend?
Thanks
Maya.
mayax68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #66
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

you can plant it now but unless you have space to waste and don't mind TINY bulbs don't bother.

mine is already 6" tall - garlic should be planted in the fall. i'm in CT also and i plant the last week of oct or 1st week in nov. any variety will grow whether from the grocery store or from a farmer or from a seed company.

i advise you contact http://wegrowgarlic.com and ask to be put on their mail list so you'll know when they have this year's harvest ready for sale to have the best choice of all their varieties.

i forgot to mention there's a fellow here called bloo who also sells garlic.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #67
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Maya,

As Tom Mentioned, you'll likely get a small, single clove commonly referred to as a "round". Nothing wrong with that unless you have expectations of a large head with many cloves. You can plant them now, harvest in the summer, usually July and either eat them or store them for a fall planting. The second year the "rounds" usually produce heads of garlic with several cloves, though the size may be modest. I would save your best heads for replanting in the fall again.

I believe, without any scientific evidence, that garlic gradually adapts to its growing environment and grows better year after year. I would ask Tom for suggestions for your area, personally I grow only hardneck.

And, though I have never purchased from bloo, I highly recommend him as a future source. Why? Because he is always a straight shooter, he'll never tell you what you want to hear, just what you need to hear. I've had the pleasure of interacting with him on a few forums and you get the real deal with him.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #68
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Our first experience with garlic has been a spectacular success. Yesterday I harvested the rest of the porcelain hard neck German White. A few weeks prior, all of the Ajo Rojo was harvested. In general, the German was more vigorous, more attractive hardy plants, lovely scapes - more uniform. Both were fine - I think I got decent bulbs from every clove I planted. Too many - I've got over 60 bulbs. I will reserve some for planting in October, but I was delighted in how easy the whole process was! If only tomatoes were as easy to grow successfully here in NC!
Old June 27, 2010   #69
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

since you are new at garlic craig do you know that you should let it dry in a shed or garage... out of the sun.

i tie 4-5 stalks together and tie them to crw and let them dry in my shed for 3-4 weeks. when the moisture is not apparent when you cut the stalk 1" above the top of the bulb they are dry for storage. place in cool dry place not hot, your garage will be too hot for storage. i put mine in the basement and allow for air circulation. do not put it in the fridge!

maybe you know this but in case you did not this will allow your garlic to store into the winter before it starts to sprout.

here we plant on columbus day but i have found that late october early november (before week 2) is best. mulch with 4-6" of shredded leaves after planting.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #70
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks Tom - I did some googling around for drying hardneck types, and it is indeed in baskets in my garage. We are starting to use it....great to be able to use your own home grown garlic in recipes!