Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old April 21, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Is warm weather driving you bonkers?

If I had my rows ready, I'd be out there planting right now! I've got my 50 foot row ready to till so it will be a few days. My early types are doing great, and green garlic is jumping out of the ground and onion sets are up about 6 inches. I'm eating salad greens out of the GH.
Old April 21, 2006   #2
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Earl,
I got my tomato rows ready yesterday! Now I'm chomping at the bit to plant. I'm afraid this warm weather is going to turn on us at some point so I'm holding out for another couple of weeks. I've seen a pretty hard frost around the first of May and my tomatoes want no part of that!

Best Regards,
Brian
Old April 23, 2006   #3
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I'm LOVIN' it!! I've been eating asparagus, radishes, sprouting broccoli, mesclun and spinach for about 2 weeks now! Haven't eaten any of the green garlic or onions, YET. Got a nice little sunburn going. This is the life! I've got WOWs set up for 25 more tomatoes and another 115 ready to go when the "real" warm weather gets here. IF IT WOULD ONLY STOP RAINING!!! We had 3" that we didn't need last week alone.

Lisa
Old April 24, 2006   #4
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

What is warm weather? I vaguely remember it as no rain and a thing in the sky called the sun.
Old April 24, 2006   #5
kristy
Tomatovillian™

Default Warm Weather,

Yes, Bruce I think you're right. I vaguely remember something called "sun." I think warm weather is something we must have had before my garden turned into a pond.

Actually, my pond (that is, my vegetable garden) is turning into a mudpit, so I may have to abandon my plans of koi and lilypads...

Sorry, um, now back to your regularly scheduled CHOPTAG posts and I'll return to griping about California weather elsewhere.
Old April 25, 2006   #6
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Yep Earl, you got that right!

I made the mistake of starting all my seeds at the parents place an hour and a half away. They have the extra space and I thought Mom and Dad could enjoy the tomato thing along with me this year, which I believe has been accomplished. However, an unxpected side effect has been my uncontrolable desire to sow seeds and actually have a chance at seeing them sprout. Needless to say, I started a couple varieties of melons, peppers, and some lost-but-found maters outside just yesterday in hopes that they will catch up. I'll be driving down to take my pick of the mater seedlings this weekend.

I'll be south bound, down, loaded up and truckin back to may place early afternoon on Sunday to do some plant'n. This is a break-out year for me. I'll be growing many of the varieties raved about here and the other place. It will be my first year with almost everything in my garden/flowerbed/containers. I look forward to posting my results and comparing notes.......

But right now, I just want to get my hands dirty!

RIK