Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 7, 2007   #31
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Tim,
I forgot to mention I got the same addiction: collecting tomatoes & various tomato seeds too from nursery only. I don't know others excited about gardening like us--not even my husband.

carolg
carolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #32
squibT
Tomatovillian™

Thanx carolg,

My wife says I got a tomato grow op going here...LOL...

<You drilled holes in all containers or did some have holes on bottom.

*The white pails needed lots of holes...in the bottom. I'm using a variation of "Al's" mix in all pots. I also have wics in each white bucket at the bottom. The EB's have an overflow hole only...in the middle...about 4 or 5 inches up. No fertilizer in the top. I only use liquid seaweed, fish fertilizer, (epsom and bone meal at planting) and epsom/fish foliar spray occasionally (sometimes aspirin...really...hee hee)

<The blue one has a tube sticking out of it's side. What's up with that?

* The blue EB's have a plastic golf club sleeve with lots of holes drilled in it all around it and it is wrapped in landscaping fabric so soil will not penetrate it. You can actually see right out the other side of the EB if you look thru it. This allows air to the roots. It is just a variation of a DIY EB. Prolly not needed if you use a really airy mix.

<One pot has a large hole on its side but no tube.

*If you mean the blue EB...it does have the same tube...I just cut it short/flush with the side

<So you didn't use any EB, but made own?

*No purchased EB....Yes , I made my own...I got the plans/directions from either TV or GW sites. I think they are the coolest. I like my 15 gal black tree pots too but the EB's are worry free...I add water whenever I feel like it.

If you get chance please send some pics...no hurry...

Hey Earl...my EBs have 4 inch plastic nursery pots holding up the screen made from the top of the Rubbermaid with a larger maybe 6 inch pot for the wicking chamber...golf club tubes for a filler and air venty thru the side...

We'll see how it works out...first time growing in an EB.

BTW...nice greens you got there Earl...may be time for a little garden raid...hope you dont have a motion sensing light out there...

squibt

Last edited by squibT; July 8, 2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Sumpin 'else
squibT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #33
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Squibd for further explanation. I'm sure Earl has sensor lights with his green beauties.

I can take some pictures and post in next day or so. My peppers look really pretty and maybe I get a shot of the peppers growing too, my tomatoes are looking good, but not many fruits yet, the cukes are really bushy, meaning full here, with only a few cukes, and the eggplants were just planted few days ago, I believe so nothing to brag about these. Tonight took two or was i three plants from the ground, and put them into the last EB, the original kind is all I have right now, 10 of them, added some soaked beans, pole, two per slit I made and surely more than recommended in the slits and quantity of beans I planted. Normally 16 seeds recommended, so did 2 per slit, and maybe did 16 slits. We shall see if I can even find the darn beans as the slits and beans may hae not stayed together as I fussed with my homemade plastic white garbage bag on top.

I am not seeing great root system in the ground plants that I bought, but I did grow lots of tomatoes and cukes which are doing good. Aphids is the batte at hand.
carolg z5 co
Old July 8, 2007   #34
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Cloudy day but here's some pictures of my EB. One picture you will see a pepper growing. It could be blush, but not sure.

One box with tiny plants is cukes just took for garden last night. Their root system, store bought is tiny.

You could see eggplants too.

Of course tomatoes. One tomatoe plant has some funky colored purplish/rust on leaves. Aphids out of control. Planted EB about weeks ago. I grew some plants from seed, others bought, i.e. eggplant.

Now I can't figure out how to add pictures. Please direct me and then tonight I will post a new message deleting this one but putting it with the pictures. Thanks.

I clicked manage attachments and nothing opened.

carolg colorado z5...
Old July 8, 2007   #35
squibT
Tomatovillian™

carolg,

Tomato eating cat...

Sent you a HOW TOO on posting pictures...

You can also post all your pics to a seperate album on Photobucket, click Share Album (upper right) and on the new page that appears you can copy the link so we can all go to Photobucket and looksee...

squibT
Old July 9, 2007   #36
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Tim,
How cute. A cat thief. Going to try adding them in here vs. photobucket to start just ike you did with kitty.

photo problem:
I clickbelow message to Manage Attachments and it won't open up. It seems to be blocked. I hold down my key to open up, as normal, still won't open. I like how you can see picture right here as you have done without going to photobucket. Thanks for continued help. Back later or feel free to email me too.

carolg
Old July 9, 2007   #37
squibT
Tomatovillian™

Hi again carolg,

It seems you did not post the link to your pic in your msg here above. From Photobucket and the image you wish to appear here just click on IMG CODE...it will copy the image code to your computer so you can paste the code into your Forum posting here.

Save your message, refresh your message here so you can try it

Hope I understood your problem...

squibT
Old July 9, 2007   #38
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Tim,
At library and saw message. No didn't put in photobucket yet. All your pictures are? I was hoping to not give link but just plop pictures here. This is what I wanted to do if possible. Thanks. Maybe I am not alone with problems so please share away. If I missed something, please direct me to the message number.

The area saying Attach Files, Manage Attachments is the problem for me. I click Manage Attachments and it won't open up to attach. Back later. Thanks.

carolg co z5
Old July 9, 2007   #39
squibT
Tomatovillian™

Oh..I see...I dont use Manage Attachements....lemme try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 061.jpg (145.5 KB, 16 views)
Old July 9, 2007   #40
squibT
Tomatovillian™

Ok..I see. It is prolly because your image is too large...the file size I mean. Just open the file (pic) on your computer...If you are using XP you double click on it and it will open in MS Photo Editor. Then in MS Photo Editor with the pic open select File...Save As...then click the More button when the new dialoge box opens and reduce the image file size JPEG Quality Factor to 40 or 30...save it...then upload it to your post here....

The image of the tomato eating cat is JPEG Quality 30...you may increase the size of your pic if you wish for a better pic clarity...you can always edit the post and replace the pic if the quality is not so good...
Hope this helps...
squibT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (203.8 KB, 19 views)
Old July 14, 2007   #41
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Roma beans.

Click for Larger Size
Old July 15, 2007   #42
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Earl you are the man! You must be very handy around the house building such coooool stufff! Your garden is very beautiful.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2007   #43
squibT
Tomatovillian™

Nice stack o' beans there Earl. I have 3 cukes in one EB and they seem to be doing great. Got them climbing up a fish net on a fence...gonna try some lettuce next. What do you have growing in the other boxes?
Old July 15, 2007   #44
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Earl.

Your pics are excellent.....thank you!

I see you're using shade cloth on top of the greenhouse. I know shade cloth comes in different % shading. Which % shading do you use, and how satisfied are you with that particular %? Also, does your greenhouse get too hot for your maters even with shading and ventilation?

I've wanted a greenhouse for about 1 1/2 years now, but may have to settle for a more temporary structure set against a 4 ft high retaining wall.

Best,

Michael
Old July 15, 2007   #45
honu
Tomatovillian™

Earl, Thanks for sharing your cool container photos!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote