Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 12, 2012   #136
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Make sense si.ce was harvested in spring I had to plant it after the chill period but wasn't breaking dormancy
Old May 20, 2013   #137
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

By the way I only got few tubers from it ....not sure if anyone did harvest any? I am trying to pull sprouts from it this year.
Old August 23, 2013   #138
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Bad news. Lost all my Moie-Moie to rot in the ground. They were not breaking dormancy so in June were planted. I went on vacations and then when I came back the plant was not even sprouting so I dug around to see and the tubers were rotted. So sad!!!
I hope any of yours survived

As for Richard's Mystery selection I have those growing l... harvest should be around October since they are late varieties.
Old August 23, 2013   #139
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Oh no thats sad Wendy.

All is not lost,this coming summer i am growing only moie moie,four different strains along with tubers from two TPS grown moie moie's from last year,plan is by having no other potato within my area and hand pollinate amoung flowers within the different strains i should get a good mix.
Fingers crossed i can pull it off, that way i could get some seed and send some to you.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #140
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Here's two of last summers TPS moie moie.

Lovely looking plants with large leafs

This one with it purple center

Old August 24, 2013   #141
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

They look great. If you get TPS this year I will love to try some.
Old August 24, 2013   #142
gardensup
Tomatovillian™

Richard, the size of your potato leaves is quit unusual. I am wondering if big broad leaves would be an advantage in a climate which has a lot of heat (30 - 35C during the day) and drought? The last couple of summers in eastern Canada have been exactly that. I have found that my most robust TPS potatoes, such as Kern Morn from Tom Wagner, were those that had larger than average leaves. Has this been your experience or are your summers that extreme?

If there was a beneficial connection between larger leaf size and heat and drought tolerance, I might be interested in trialing a few TPS of a potato such as Moie Moie as well should they give you some. At the very least it might be an interesting experiment.
gardensup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #143
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes quite happy to share some TPS around,i'll send to just one person in the US for distribution,but hey,ive got to be able to grow the TPS first.

I have wondered if the size of the leafs has something to do with been grown inside my tunnelhouse remembering its still not spring here yet though the weather this winter has been far form normal.

Interesting you talk of broad leaves having an advantage in a climate which has a lot of heat (30 - 35C during the day) and drought?,it normally doesn't rain here in summer or very little anyway,but water is plentiful under ground so i put plenty on.I live inland with mountains all round us so we are cut off from cooling sea breezes,during an average summer we get 40 -45 days with 30Cdeg and over ,so it will be interesting to see how these first generation tuber grown moie moie's do in a few months time

The top photo below from yesterday's post is from the plant that produced this potato

This photo is from the plant thats produced the purple leafed plant

Last edited by Medbury Gardens; August 24, 2013 at 04:08 PM.