Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old October 18, 2013   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default What happened to my sweet potatoes?

I grew sweet potatoes last year quite successfully. This yr I grew several varieties in a new raised bed as well as the variety I grew last yr. Most of the potatoes are very long and thin, almost like carrots. There are several have much of the inside missing and in some cases just the skin is left. Along with the debris, there is an abundance of worms. From what I have read, my soil might have been too rich and that would explain the skinny tubers, but what about the hollowed out larger tubers? I've included pictures. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.JPG (294.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 042.JPG (143.0 KB, 59 views)
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Well, I hope that someone that really knows sweet potatoes will be along soon to help with regard to what could have caused the damage you describe. So sorry for that loss- hope it didn't affect too many. I can share my experience which is that I've had lots of varieties give me skinny tubers like you show in the same year and in the same soil that produced nice fat Beauregards. After a couple of years of trials, that's the only variety I grow now because it's a season-long experiment that can leave you with nothing for the winter- so disappointing.

Did the return variety do as well as last season?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I grew Beauregard last yr and some again this yr. Those were the larger ones, I believe, that were eaten (?) out. New to me this yr was /garnet. I also grew some purple and white ones. They were all long and skinny. Thanks for your input.
Old October 18, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
I grew Beauregard last yr and some again this yr. Those were the larger ones, I believe, that were eaten (?) out. New to me this yr was /garnet. I also grew some purple and white ones. They were all long and skinny. Thanks for your input.
Well, I wasn't much help but I can say that in many years of growing Beauregard, I've never seen what's in your first photo. Maybe some type of rodent took a liking to them and the worms are just working on the leftovers?

kath
Old October 18, 2013   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I would guess it was primarily some sort of animal damage.

Beauregard is the only variety my grandparents will grow. Its ability to produce in poor soils and droughts is remarkable.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2013   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

From what I've read, sweet potatoes do not grow well in rich soil. The soil I planted in was poorer than the mix I used this yr. No problems last yr with the Beauregard; this yr there were a lot less and smaller as well as being damaged, The purple and whites, while long and thin, were spared the damage. I wonder if an animal found them more attractive because they are sweeter than the other varieties.
Old October 19, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
From what I've read, sweet potatoes do not grow well in rich soil. The soil I planted in was poorer than the mix I used this yr. No problems last yr with the Beauregard; this yr there were a lot less and smaller as well as being damaged, The purple and whites, while long and thin, were spared the damage. I wonder if an animal found them more attractive because they are sweeter than the other varieties.
I've read the same thing regarding the type of soil preferred by sweet potatoes, yet mine get rotated along with everything else and over the years the garden has been enriched with many truckloads of composted leaves, hay, straw, manure, grass clippings, kitchen waste, etc. as well as various organic fertilizers, and yet I've grown Beauregards in excess of 10 pounds. Maybe that variety is just less likely to produce those skinny specimens that I've seen with all the other varieties I've tried to grow. Critters do often seem to prefer the best tasting produce.

kath
Old October 20, 2013   #8
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

From what I've read sweet potatoes are hot weather crops. Last year we had record amounts of heat. This year record amounts of cold weather in the spring. I was going to try sweet potatoes this year, but seeing how cold it was this spring, didn't even try. I thing Glenn at Sandhill has put together a nice explanation on growing sweet potatoes.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...o_catalog.html
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote