Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 13, 2014   #16
bestofour
Tomatovillian™

I have planted red potatoes with great success and russet with good success. This year I'm planting yukon gold.
bestofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #17
Vicmeister
Tomatovillian™

My favorite potato variety is the Nicola. They have the best taste of any other potato I've tried, plus they are healthier. After eating a Nicola, I can't go back to a Yukon Gold. They just taste so bland. The Nicola has almost a nutty type of taste, and when mashing you don't need to add butter.

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/can...a/potatoes.htm

If you want to eat potatoes and avoid high blood sugar, look for Nicola and Rosamunda. Nicola (Solanum tuberosum L. cv. Nicola) is hard to find. But it is an oval, smooth-skinned potato with a pale to yellow skin and yellow to deep yellow flesh, that seems to have originated in Germany. Nicola has a glycemic index rating of 58, making it healthy to eat (in modest portions). Rosamunda (Solanum tuberosum L. cv. Rosamunda) is an oval, smooth-skinned potato with a red skin and cream to light yellow flesh that was bred in Sweden. Nicola and Rosamunda were cooked and tested in a Finnish food study, and were found to have the highest levels of phenolic acids, in comparison to all of the 40 types of potatoes in the study. Phenols are aromatic compounds that have powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which may discourage the growth of cancer.
Vicmeister is offline   Reply With Quote