Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 6, 2014   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default O Henry vs White Hamon

I've decided to get my sweet potato slips from Southern Exposure next year. In the past, I've used Sand Hill, but I'd like to get them in earlier. I like white/cream sweet potatoes because they're drier and not as sweet at orange varieties. The two white varieties SESE is offering this season are O Henry and White Hamon. I guess White Hamon is different from Hayman, which I've grown. It's an heirloom from the Eastern Shore of Va and Md and it's good, but from what I'm reading, this is a different variety. So here's my question. If I prefer a drier, less sweet white sweet potato, which is a better choice for me--O Henry or White Hamon? I'm hoping someone has grown and eaten both, of course, but even if you've only grown one of them, I'd still like to read your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Old December 12, 2014   #2
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown both (only Oh Henry) but I love Oh Henry.

Not sure if that helps you.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2014   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, and I'm glad, because that's what I ordered! I plan to bake most of these and I thought the size and shape of O Henry was more suitable. Descriptions I read on line made it sound a little less sweet, too. Thank you for confirming I made a good choice.
Old December 13, 2014   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been very happy with O'Henry too. It is a fabulous keeper. I think you will like it; it isn't that sweet at all.

I didn't get many last year, but 2013 was a bumper crop for me . . . and I am still using them! (That's October 2013 to Dec 2014.) That exceeds any expectations I had!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Frazier White and Ivis White Cream and had good results, but they're not available from SESE. I'm feeling much more comfortable with my choice of O Henry. Thanks!
Old December 14, 2014   #6
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Phila,

How do you store yours? temp etc?

Thanks

-crazyoldgooseman
Old December 14, 2014   #7
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi @crazyoldgooseman - thanks for your interest. Surprisingly, nothing special. I have been amazed that these have lasted so long for me!

After digging, I rinsed the dirt off with a hose and then air dried them outside.

My curing treatment consisted of putting them in a strong box (the kind copier paper comes in), closing that in a heavy black plastic bag, and putting it into the back of a car in a sunny parking lot for about a week. That is the closest I could come at that point in the season (in the Philadelphia area) to the humid, warm conditions that folks say they use to cure their sweet potatoes. Not perfectly controlled but simple.

After that, they have been sitting in a dark storage room (still in that box). Not particularly cool - mid 60s (F) most of the time. I sort of lost track of them which is why some are left. I had two flushes of sprouting. After the first (last Spring) I took out some to plant and broke off the rest of the long shoots and returned the tubers to the box. They resprouted again this past Fall, but those shoots are shorter (think bonsai) so I've left them on. While a few dried out, most are still edible (but a little corky when I peel them - I've been using them in stews where they add a nice sweetness). I am purposely holding on to some to plant next Spring to grow out again; last year's crop was almost a bust for me, so I am glad these have such good keeping qualities.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2014   #8
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Phila! Very useful in saving my seed potatoes to make my own slips next year!

-crazyoldgooseman