Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 4, 2015   #1
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Default Prettiest Potato Plant

I'd like to grow a few potato plants, preferably from seed, as ornamentals.

Is this A. insane or 2. stupid? Can anyone suggest a variety or two they find particularly attractive? I have space in ground and in pots, indoors and out. Just want to try something new.

TIA!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I'd like to grow a few potato plants, preferably from seed, as ornamentals.

Is this A. insane or 2. stupid? Can anyone suggest a variety or two they find particularly attractive?
This message came in on my Iphone as I was packing TPS (true potato seed) for my webshop tatermaterseeds.com which is up running again since yesterday.

Some potatoes have gorgeous flowers and very lush vines. However most commercial varieties only bloom for a short while and I suggest trying something that will bloom over many weeks...even months.

The list is long but Muru is my first pick since it is a 150 dto 180 days potato and the offspring from TPS will bloom for a very long time too.

Others that are pretty are Blue Rose...large almost blue flowers.

Skagit Magic is being bought back this year ...it throws all colors of flowers within its progeny.

Huagalina is both a good flowering andigena type potato from Peru and it will wait til frost before producing tubers....pretty pink flowers

Blue Dinger is a striking bloomer and the tubers it produces are deep purple with yellow flesh mostly with a blue ring.

Awol Dude and Awol Again have cute red flowers. Katahdin will throw pink to white flowers

I could go on but I need to get back to packing seed.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Oh, thanks! I think I have some research ahead of me on how potatoes grow -- or I might just try to wing it since I ALWAYS do exhaustive research and it'll be a fun challenge!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote