Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 17, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 17 August 2015 Garlic Revisited

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%20...evisited/HTML/ 17 August 2015 Garlic Revisited
Preparing a bulb of garlic for use as a garnish on a baked potato. To obtain maximum nutritional benefits from garlic it should be crushed and allowed to settle for at least 15 minutes or longer.A tortilla press is ideal.Each separate clove with skin intact was pressed. The skin is separated easily.A piece of soft bread was utilized to sop up any juice on the press surfaces. The pressed garlic was allowed to sit for 15 minutes, then fried in butter at low heat for about 10 minutes. This will be used as a garnish for a baked potato. The press need be oiled lightly to prevent rusting.This simple process will encourage more consumption of garlic, which is possibly a plus.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

hey Durgan,

My favourite garlic tool is a micro grater - such a fine grater it literally turns the garlic into juicy mush. In that state the flavour goes right through whatever you're making without a long wait.

For baked potato, I would grate the garlic slush into a spoonful of olive oil (or butter if you prefer), stir in a spoonful of dry parmesan and some black pepper, then whip the top off your potato, lavish it on, and broil if you like your garlic cooked or just chop the potato and top when you serve if you like it raw. Does increase my enjoyment of both potato and garlic.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote