Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old November 21, 2007   #1
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Default Emperor's New Cloves?

I bought 6 heads at Trader Joe's yesterday. They do not have cloves they are one solid head?? It says grown and packed in China. I am going to plant them and see what happens? Maybe this is not really garlic? They smell and are labeled garlic...any thoughts?
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #2
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. A quick glance at the Territorial Seed catalog doesn't show any garlic that is one solid head. Are these maybe just individual cloves from a large variety?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Nope you can tell it is one solid head (I did dissect one) I will take a pic.. and will edit.
Old November 21, 2007   #4
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

I'm no expert, but I think what you have are called garlic rounds. Rounds are heads of garlic that haven't reached maturity. I believe cloves start forming in late spring or early summer, May or June. Up to that point it is a single large clove or, round. I think by planting the rounds you'll get heads with cloves next year.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #5
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
I think what you have are called garlic rounds. Rounds are heads of garlic that haven't reached maturity.
That's what I heard as well. Last growing season, I picked, oh, 5 or 6 that turned out to be the single-clove round type. I found them interesting, but a bit of Internet research led me to conclude I just picked 'em early; alas, they were not a new rare variety that I discovered, darn it.

Couple weeks ago while planting my 2007-08 garlic crop, I came across 20 or so sprouting feral cloves that I missed last season. I re-planted the decent sized ones, which included one of the single-clove round type. I marked its location. I'm not touching it til July 08. We'll see what this one turns out to be.

J
Old November 21, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

See that is why I love this place I got my answer so I won't post the pics. I did plant them and I will update this thread whenever I am supposed to pull my garlic
Old November 21, 2007   #7
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Clever title.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2007   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I thought is was about CLOVES not GARLIC.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote