Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 19, 2010   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I would have grown some Candy from seeds but

a) I think Tom bought up all the Candy seeds
b) Tom didn't send me any with his Prue seeds!
ha ha! i grew candy 1 maybe 2 seasons but i decided that copra and red wing were all i needed to grow. candy get too big, i don't have a backhoe like yopper does. planting 6" on center produces 4-5" onions which are kinda too big. i could go back to a 4" spacing but that's too tight weeding is nearly impossible and air circulation is tough with full sized plants but it produces nice smaller onions. i like 2" onions better than 4", for 1 person i can use a 2" usually but a 4" is usually too much to use all at once. even making soup, i'd rather use 2 2" vs 1 4".

mark i buy new onion seed every year and give away the seed left from last season because it has lower germination. if you want it and don't mind sowing a lot more than you normally would i'll send you the seed from the prior year. it's too late to use now for this season but for next year you'll get germination but it may be only 75% or less.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote