Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 4, 2006   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Anyone grow 2 cucumber plants in a 5 gallon grow bag?

I am growing diva and poona keera (spellings may not be right) in 5 gallon grow bags-got the seed from Johnnys. Put the seed in the grow bag on Saturday, and germination already today. I am testing to see if I can grow 2 plants, instead of 1 in a 5 gallon grow bag. Any opinions? Should I thin to 1 plant or take a chance?
Old July 4, 2006   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

mdvpc...nope...it wont work. you gon end up havin a very brief Flush of Growth, initial fuit set, followed by a stunted plant(s), that shrivel up, an a 5 gallon bag full of roots. Have tried it...it dont even work well w/ONE plant...much less 2.

Best wishes....there's Better ways...friend...)))
Old July 4, 2006   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Gimme-thanks for your opinion on this-growing cukes in this hot desert southwest is a challenge under any circumstances. All the best.
Old July 4, 2006   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried a 15 gallon self-watering container?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Feldon-watering is not my problem-I am on a drip system. My cukes for this year, in a 15 gallon container were wasted by pesticide drift from my neighbor-also wasted a lot of my tomato plants. So I started some toms, eggplant and cukes in another area, and have used 5 gallon for eggplant and tomatoes successfully-like red brandywine this year.
Old July 5, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Have you talked to the neighbor? Or is he/she likely to end up on The Neighbors From Hell.com?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2006   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Feldon-I have and they are going to try and make sure it doesnt happen again. They are very nice people and good friends. I see you are in Houston-thats where I went to school. I can imagine there are difficulties growing tomatoes there with the high humidity.
Old July 5, 2006   #8
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default cukes in grow bags or containers

Michael,
I grow Boothby Blonde cukes in a 18 gal rubbermaid container with no problems. I use the same soil mix as for my tomatoes plus a couple of shovelfuls of well rotted goat manure and 2 gallons of peat moss.

Cukes like a soil rich in organic matter. Watering daily and fertilizing is the same as for my maters with a gallon of 1/2 strength 5-20-20 fertilizer weekly. I plant 6 plants/container and keep the strongest 4 plants.

Each container yields about 3-4 cukes every day and 30-40 5" long cukes over the growing season.
Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2006   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Since starting this thread, I cut one plant out and have one plant of each in the 5 gallon grow bag. I am starting to get fruit set. Here is a photo. Bushy charbonosky (sp?) dwarf tomato is in the middle, just getting started.

Old August 5, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

I'm growing some cukes in pots out back and I had someone plant the seeds the same way I would if I were growing them inground.

And that means, plant 5 seeds and thin to the strongest three and these pots are not even five gallon, I don't think.

And they are thriving. I have Cool Breeze in one and Miniature White in another one.

The longer vining ones such as Suyo Long and my Serpent ones are at one end of the raised bed. However, Karen got some seed mixed up and also planted some Sunburst squash seeds there and if any of you have ever grown that one you know the plants get huge.

So all I'm saying is that I have 3 cuke plants/pot of less than 5 gal size and all is well. But they are somewhat short vining varieties. But Poona Kheera doesn't have huge long vines either and I haven'grown Diva.
Old August 5, 2006   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Carolyn-Good to see you are back on your feet. Glad that you have a garden this year. Lets report back when we start to get some ripe cukes! Are you growing 3 plants in each container?
Old August 5, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(So all I'm saying is that I have 3 cuke plants/pot)

Yes, as I said above I'm growing three plants/pot.

I've been on my feet, in the walker, since the day after surgery , June 1.

But you know I just couldn't be without something being grown. Martha, gardenmama sent up some beautiful plants from VA., of ones that I had chosen, and when Mischka drove over here from MA in late May he brought a couple as well and I got him to plant them all.

And Karen is the person who cleans for me each week and is really more than jsut a cleaning lady, and she's the one who planted the seeds of squash and cukes after Freda , who does my lawn, and more, dumped out all of the pots and mixed half compost and half topsoil and refilled them. My brother had put all compost in them which made them dry out too fast.

They keep the stuff weeded and watered as well as they can and I'm also dependent on Karen to harvest stuff and bring it inside.
Old August 5, 2006   #13
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

So lets report back on how these cukes do. I am also growing 5 diva in a 15 gallon container-they germinated in 4 days.
Old August 17, 2006   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Diva is setting lots of fruit, same with Poona Kheera. Have tasted Poona Kheera and its very, very good-almost sweet, complex tasting. Have harvested 3 of them the last week. Plants look great.
Old August 27, 2006   #15
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Update in case any one is interested-Have been harvesting usually one Poona Kheera and one Diva a day for the last 10 days or so. They are both very good, different in taste. Still lots of fruit developing. I have put Espoma Tomato Tone in the 5 gallon container.