Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 6, 2015   #91
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I started mine too early and they were growing onto the ceiling. You are not too late in my book.

- Lisa
Lisa thanks for the reply.

I meant if everyone moved on to other topics or forums. Last post was months old.

I have some TPS seedlings growing and I just put my Seed Tubers in Peet moss waiting for them to shoot spouts.

I was hoping to ask a few questions to the more experienced folks.

Thanks Again for the reply

Serdar
oynamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #92
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Last year was my first year doing so, and I found it was a great way to increase yield by increasing the total number of plants from fewer tubers.

I will be growing approximately 40 varieties from pull sprouts this year. That is assuming I have the space and time.

I probably will not start TPS until February/March (other than indoor experimenting) and pull sprouts until March. I do not want them sprouting too early.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #93
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

How long does it take for tubers to have sprouts. Room Temperature. They already had green thingies 1 inch long.

I used 70% peat moss and 30% topsoil. Is that bad?

Thanks
Old January 7, 2015   #94
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

I think if they have already broken dormancy and begun sprouting, under a week and they will have rooted enough to separate and replant.
Old January 12, 2015   #95
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@oynamak

If you got sprouts it emerges in 1-2 days after so one week it will get root mass. About 10 days are ready to put into ground or pot. You live in California ...if your area is 40F now in winter you are good to go!
Old January 12, 2015   #96
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
@oynamak

If you got sprouts it emerges in 1-2 days after so one week it will get root mass. About 10 days are ready to put into ground or pot. You live in California ...if your area is 40F now in winter you are good to go!
Thanks . I decided to go with late season potatoes. No Blues unfortunatelly. I guess this year will be Trial error season.

I am planning to plant same type of potetoes on top of eachother 10 inches apart. I let you know how it works out.

Serdar
Old January 12, 2015   #97
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

In 10 days or so looks like ....
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8-LqW6TS-zs/Un_MhRYqlTI/AAAAAAAAKcc/pDrXLJW9hkc/w539-h719-no/20130521_085659.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-I...521_085535.jpg

Last edited by wmontanez; January 12, 2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: pic
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2015   #98
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I see! on a tower idea... yes let us know
Old January 18, 2015   #99
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Picture coming soon
Old January 18, 2015   #100
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

I think it worked.

Old January 19, 2015   #101
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. Bury all but the top leaves.
Old January 19, 2015   #102
oynamak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanP View Post
Very nice. Bury all but the top leaves.
Thank You Nathan. I kept the potatoes inside room temperature. Now that the potatoes is back in peat-moss for second round of sprouts do you think I should still bring it in or leave it outside is fine. We have 52 nights and 70 days now in Los Angeles.

Old January 20, 2015   #103
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

You would probably be fine leaving it outside. Real sunlight will always be better than artificial lighting, but I doublt it will make much of a difference until the leaves break the surface of the soil. If the temperature goes above 80 you might want to reconsider. You should be able to get at least 3-4 rounds of pulling sprouts. Anything that has a piece of rooted stem can be separated off the tuber and off other rooted stems and planted separately. Wingnut advises planting stems singly for better yield, instead of in multiples.
Old January 22, 2015   #104
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Once my night time is near 50F I leave potatoes outside. You look great there....

I just do raised beds so once I plant them in their permanent location I bury must of the stem just leave the growth tip out and water deeply. Wait one week to water it again and put more dirt around it as growths about 6in....I do it 2 times then mulch.

If you are doing tower, then you will stack the plants on top right?
Old January 30, 2015   #105
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

This thread inspired me to pull some sprouts this past season. Some extra seed potatoes had made various sizes of sprouts from tiny ones with roots to 14 inchers. I pulled them off by hand, separating multiple sprouts coming from one eye. Anything with roots sprouted fine in the cell packs I put them in but the ones in the 2" to 4" size seemed to do the best. The long ones I cut into 4" to 6" pieces and stuck them in the potting mix upright, like a cutting. These were put under lights and within two weeks pretty much everything was sprouting leaves and looking like a regular plant. Amazing. A few did dry up. The original potato usually still had additional sprouts left and was planted later. Plain coir was used as potting mix and all planted in 3 packs. A great way to utilize sprouts forming too early. I took no data on performance of sprouted plants vs. regular seed potatoes, however friends that got the plants asked for them again this year.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote