Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 27, 2011   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Moie-Moie across the pond

Richard (Medbury Gardens) offered to sent me Moie-Moie ....so I went into it hoping it could cross the pond unharmed. And here it is!!!
Ta da

I am going to attemp to pull sprouts from this 2 slips with sterile growing media and hopefully have some potato plants to grow in a pot .
Old June 28, 2011   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

i'm so happy that US customs let them in Wendy, now its all up to you to get them to grow so others can get to try what i consider to be the best tasting potato ive ever grown.

The other one on the left is Mystery
Medbury Gardens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Nice, beautiful potatoes!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #4
renny1
Tomatovillian™

I hope to be included in your list of people to grow it out and pass along to others when you offer it. Yes, nice potatoes.
renny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Renny1 has spot#1

Probably is a good idea to have people sign in to get a head count. Maybe say 10 people? I will keep you updated in this post about the plant growth etc.

I must add that people that sign for this task should be aware of the possible presence of patogens in any live tissue. Richard (Medbury Gardens) was kind enough to offer to introduce this Maori potato into USA via me. I am growing it separated from the rest until I get my own seed. I believe this disclaimer is needed and neither me or Medbury Gardens should be held responsable in the case that a virus or disease spread to your other potatoes or crops. If you choose to grow it and agree with the previous statement then I am gladly send you a slip or tuber in the fall.
Old June 28, 2011   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Wendy:
Please count me as #2!
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2011   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

For those who may not know much about these two,
Moie-moie is white inside but can have a small amount of purple/red,its very firm when cooked,great for potato salads.
Ive found it to be a very reliable cropper

Moie-moie again is a potato that gives great yielding crops of mostly solid purple colour inside,some plants can throw a bit of white which is something i'm trying to select out.
Taste is rather earthy which i like myself but my kids are not so keen on (fussy little so and so's)

Old June 29, 2011   #8
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

the second one should read mystery right?
Quote:
Moie-moie again is a potato that gives great yielding crops of mostly solid purple colour inside,some plants can throw a bit of white which is something i'm trying to select out.
Taste is rather earthy which i like myself but my kids are not so keen on (fussy little so and so's)
Where's mystery coming from?
Old June 29, 2011   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
the second one should read mystery right?
oopps yes (slap to the forehead)

[QUOTE= Where's mystery coming from?[/QUOTE]

I tried to find out but with no luck,i do know that its been bred from a potato called Urenika.
How did you get on with the TPS of Mystery Wendy??

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur...w=1143&bih=668
Old June 29, 2011   #10
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am now growing the TPS seedlings from Mystery in a pot all together. When I was potting up the seedlings saw potatoes already forming in the stolons. I spotted one dark purple tuber, one white and one red/pink.

about 4-5 Mystery segregation plants in a 5 gal pail (~19 Liters, 40cm tall/ 35cm wide container)

Last edited by wmontanez; June 29, 2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: add picture
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2011   #11
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

The various coloured plants certainly stand out,white in the front, Urenika at the back,could be the red on the right hand side.
Old June 30, 2011   #12
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Note to self: wingnut#3 for tissue cleaning

@medbury urenika is stunning! I am going to get only small tubers and select from them for bulking up. Any name ideas for the offspring? I still have mine unnamed until this year harvest, also all growing together in a big box.
Old June 30, 2011   #13
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I found the Urenika not a nice potato,i grew it for about three years back in the 90's.
I found it to be dry at one end and more waxy at the other end because of the way it grows,no idea what's the names of the other colours, though pink flesh potatoes can't be all that common so you would think it wouldn't be hard to identify,
How many are there Tom do you know?
Old June 30, 2011   #14
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The sad situation of potato collectors is that we rarely have the same lists of heirloom potato varieties or even commercial potato varieties from another nation. Therefore, I am the wrong person to ask about other pink fleshed potatoes that may exist around the globe. That is the reason I create my own list of pink/red fleshed lines from what diversity I can get. Multiple years of breeding red fleshed lines to unrelated stocks allows me to further what could be available, especially as to TPS. I wish I had full access to each country's heirloom collection...including NZ.

Naturally, I would be happy if someone in NZ had ordered and will get a delivery from Koanga of some of the potato varieties listed on the following site.... The ordering is closed for now.

http://www.koanga.org.nz/shop/seeds/vegetables/potato

Maybe a small tuber of some of these could make their way to the USA?

I need to talk with John Bamberg of the Potato Introduction Station about getting some quarantined potatoes released from a request for the following..
Potato Arran Banner$10.00Out of Stock

Potato - Karoro $10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Kowiniwini$10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Maori$10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Matariki$10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Pink Fir$10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Urenika$10.00Out of Stock
Potato - Whataroa$10.00Out of Stock
Potatoes - Koanga Main Crop$10.00Out of Stock
Potatoes - Paraketia

Each of the above may be very well worth the time to grow but I am almost exclusively interested in getting them involved in broad genetic based crosses, and redistributed as TPS.

If someone like Medbury knows someone who has any of those....
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2011   #15
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Koanga are the people i grow vegetable seed for so if you want i could get some of those for you Tom.
The only ones i have grown in that list is Kowiniwini,not really a good producer compared to moie-moie but it seems to be getting better over the last few seasons as i've been selecting for the strongest plants,they would have to be one of the most attractive spuds around,yellow and waxy.