Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 27, 2012   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Skagit Russet

I grew one potato from this variety last year and only gave me 2 potatoes, which I saved as seed. I don't have info on the pedigree or history. I have several of the Skagit series from Tom.

The plant is upright medium tall, early ready in ~90days, the potatoes are oval, between 3in to 3.5in some can get to a hefty 9.6onz, it stores very well, but again the yield was under 1 pound per tuber planted. I haven't cut it open or taste it yet.

Old July 28, 2012   #2
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year and got one big gnarly tuber, this year I went from pull starts......we will seeeee!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

The one big potato in the front came from one plant , the 4 on the back from another plant about the same weight in pounds for both plants. Cool. And they are very close to the base (determinate?) so I know that next year if I grow this variety will be mounded just enough for it to bulk up.

Have you taste this one yet?
Old August 13, 2012   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I made this batch of Skagit Russet fries as part of the taste test. They are good french fry but nothing compares to Marcy.

Ok except Kennebec that is sweeter and as good as Marcy.

Magic Molly was a tasty french fry a bit of browning but very good. I do prefer MM baked.
Old August 11, 2013   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess my persistent quest for learning is finally paying off. This variety Skagit Russet has improved the yield this year. The spuds are perfect, the biggest spud was 8.6onz but many large oblong potatoes.. No wire-worm damage or scab. Again only rain irrigation but learning from others I did mulch them for water retention after the 2nd hill. Got 2.4lb in one plant, 1.8lb in another plant from a single tuber planted. Some more taste tests underway now....