Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 30, 2013   #16
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

There are no rules, early varieties work fine for 3 month harvest. But Tom you got a point, finding seed tubers now might be difficult. My garden center Mahoney's sometimes have them later. I don't mind planting few store-bought organic potatoes if I see them with eyes bulking. I save my own potatoes so I had some early varieties around. I had done it around August time right after getting my shallots and garlic out, through some spuds to use the area and boy they taste so sweet in October fresh out of the ground. If you are worried about the store bought you could try a pot and see if you have some for thanksgiving dinner LOL
Old July 30, 2013   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

Tom, sometimes in the health food stores here they sell small packages of various gourmet type organic potatoes that are a good size for planting whole. Pricier than normal seed potato but available and cheaper by far than mail order- just a thought if you want to give it a try and haven't sown a cover crop yet.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #18
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks kath but i decide a few years ago that potatoes are not worth the effort. digging in late october would be better than now but by late september i'm pretty tired of the work. in mid to late october i have to clean out the garden, till and then plant garlic. that may not sound like a lot of work but it is so digging potatoes doesn't thrill me.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote