Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old November 8, 2013   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Frazier White sweet potatoes

I ordered 6 slips from Sand Hill and planted them in early June. Finally got around to digging them up today and I must say, I am impressed! From those 6 plants, I got 44 really nice sized sweet potatoes, all baseball to softball sized. I've also grown Ivis White Cream and those are big too but they were not as productive for me. Might also have something to do with the mushroom compost I used. I'll order these again, I think.
Old November 8, 2013   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@shelleybean
Not sure if you want to try this but if you save one sweet potato and then come April put in moist sandy soil it will sprout and you can take your own slips. I tried this with one variety from a korean sweet potato and I got 4 plants to be on the ground in June. I will try again next year.
Old November 8, 2013   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I tried to sprout some slips very unsuccessfully this year. Did you do anything special to get the sweet potato to sprout?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2013   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I used a mason jar with water and had the top of the sweet potato at the mouth stuck but if the sweet potato is narrow put 3 toothpicks and have it suspend supported by the toothpicks. Once it began to sprout with 2-3 leaves (it took at least 3 weeks) I put in the soil and kept moist but not soggy, in a warm place (kitchen), they grew nice roots and healthy leaves.
Old November 9, 2013   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I remember doing that in a jar as a kid but I don't remember what we did once it sprouted.

I love the white sweet potatoes for baking and roasting and these are nice sized ones. They are not as sweet as the orange varieties and have drier flesh. For those who have not tried the white ones, they're kind of like a cross between a sweet potato and an Irish potato.
Old December 25, 2013   #6
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

They have to be warm enough. Also many of the potatoes I bought from the store didn't sprout for some reason.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote