Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 2, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Gringo potatoes

I have knowledge of growing potatoes in Calif., S. Carolina, and oddly enough in Laos. What I'm missing are potatoes other than what is offered in the local nurseries. And before you offer to send some, let me explain that I live in a double quarantine (incoming/outgoing) and due to my nursery licenses everything addressed to me gets audited. Which brings me to the point: What online providers do you recommend for potato seed that qualify to ship to California? ... and if you are one, please don't be shy!! Post a link to your web site here.

Alright, don't get too excited, I'm not going to be ordering acres' worth of seed. I'd be really happy with a packet of bakers and another of yams.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hermitian; January 2, 2014 at 02:34 AM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #2
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I get my potatoes, sunchokes, and strawberries from Peaceful Valley. I like German Butterball and their fingerling mix myself.

Pappi

Last edited by Pappi; January 2, 2014 at 03:04 AM.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered TPS. I could be wrong but there should be problems of getting actual seed and not tubers into California
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Tom Wagner, who is a member and I think moderator here breeds potatoes and I think he sells seed as well.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #5
Hermitian
BANNED

I'm looking into more so-called drought tolerant varieties. I'm currently considering
Russet Rio Grande
Sangre
Yukon Gem
Helenor

I've yet to find a supplier of yams (Ipomoea batatas) that ships to California.
Old January 2, 2014   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Richard aka, (Hermitian)

I think I have a virtual Hermite's Problem.....Hermite remarked:
Quote:
"I turn with terror and horror from this lamentable scourge of continuous functions with no derivatives."
In simpler terms, I have a continuous TPS functioning problem with few tuber line derivatives. Even simpler-er, that means I work with many TPS lines and offer true seed but rarely offer tuber lines. Your mentioning of a double quarantine zone makes it even more difficult to get tubers to you. TPS would be no problem.

I am familiar with your location...I stayed at the Residence Inn (Marriott) recently not far from your business in Oceanside, CA. I have TPS growing in a greenhouse in Vista, CA. of the Skagit Replenished variety of TPS. The plants should be near tuberization now. I plan to sow lots of TPS in Vista this month sometime. As a result, I should have lots of new tuber lines available for trialling.

Many of the lines sown will have drought tolerance as a necessary trait. Mindful that drought resistance has to do with deeper roots, stomata that close tighter during the heat of the day...etc.

Since Russet Rio Grande, Sangre, and Yukon Gem are highly identified with Colorado more than any other state in the USA; I am not sure what significance their purported drought resistance would have for Southern California.

Helenor... I know as a rutabaga/turnip variety...is not a potato variety known to me. There are varieties with similar names: Helena, Hellena, Helios, and Hela. And the topic reference to Gringo Potatoes is confusing to me. I suspect it has to do with American varieties...however...I would suggest some Mexican TPS as much better suited to the San Diego area. Varieties such as Tollocan, for example.

I hope to plant some tuber lines as well as many TPS transplants a few miles outside of Vista later on this winter. Maybe you, Richard, would like to visit my plots?

I am looking at a whole box of various TPS next to my laptop and I may even toy with the idea of having 4 inch potted TPS plants available somewhere. Nothing organized yet but hoping my contacts pull through. My hope is to have these plants available in California, Oregon, and Washington. Richard might wish to try a special assortment of TPS plants selected principally for drought tolerance.

As a new listing.....my Yukon Snow might be a good fit for the San Diego area. It is a cross between CO95051-7W and Yukon Gold. It produces very few but large tubers on a large vine. Produces large round white tubers with pink eyes and white flesh. The vines should bulk early with good size for a premature harvest but left in the ground to maturity should size up to 6 to 10 ounce tubers. If I don't have it as plants in limited areas I will post it on newworldcrops.com soon.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #7
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I hope everything comes together for you Tom. Always love hearing about your new projects. One of these days I'll get around to trying TPS.

Pappi
Old January 2, 2014   #8
Hermitian
BANNED

Tom, thank you for your thoughtful and entertaining reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
In simpler terms, I have a continuous TPS functioning problem with few tuber line derivatives.
Well said!

Quote:
the topic reference to Gringo Potatoes is confusing to me
I'm a tall white male of European decent, living in San Diego county.

Quote:
I am looking at a whole box of various TPS next to my laptop and I may even toy with the idea of having 4 inch potted TPS plants available somewhere. Nothing organized yet but hoping my contacts pull through.
For release to San Diego county, please consider my dear friends Cindy and Mark Pearson of Pearson's Gardens. I believe their customer base would be very appropriate for you.

For my location, I believe you are recommending TPS of
Skagit Replenished
Tollocan
my Yukon Snow

Quote:
I hope to plant some tuber lines as well as many TPS transplants a few miles outside of Vista later on this winter. Maybe you, Richard, would like to visit my plots?
You bet. I can see I'll need a dedicated bed for potatoes
Old January 4, 2014   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I have some preliminary interest in sowing some or all of the following TPS in a greenhouse or two this winter. These are all good drought tolerant segregating lines, many of which have pedigree histories in California and Washington. Most are fully self pollinated, however I suspect some out crossing occurred when I grew out tuber families from most of these during the last few years.

This list contains about 42 lines of TPS and I am entertaining the idea of sowing about 100 to 500 seed of each scattered over a four month period. I am thinking of an Interstate 5 corridor from the Mexican border to the Canadian border dispersal of transplants either in 72 cell packs or individual 4 inch pots. It would be fun to drive that entire length of highway for a week in May visiting potato plots from harvest to just transplanted TPS....San Diego to Blaine, WA. The photo ops would be fantastic! I have lived along the I-5 in various locations and states over the last 25 years. My research is very focused on this corridor.

Richard, thanks for the tip to contact the Pearson's in Vista, CA. and their greenhouse operation. I will callt them and mention you

Sone of these will be familiar to some of my cooperators...most won't.

Yukon Snow……….. Large round white with pink eyes. White flesh, large vine, early bulker

Howie Mandel………… Oval violet with light yellow flesh. Purple ring.

Transitions………… Round yellow to near red tubers…red eyes. Mostly l. yellow flesh. Early Tetraploid x Diploid

Vekaro ……. Round Red skin, white flesh. May segregate for white skin.

Diamond Toro…….. Round Purple/Blue with mostly blue flesh with occasional white ring

Skagit Beets ……..Oval round with red skin and pinkish red flesh.

Pokhipsie………. Variable shape and colors. Red, yellow and purple with assorted flesh colors. Diploid

Blue Salute ……… Large blue tubers with mixed blue and white flesh, large vines

Bintje x Maris Piper ………..White and yellow skin tubers with light yellow flesh

Hedge Rose ……Round reds with either red or white flesh

Fiesta Gold …………Round yellow tubers with yellow flesh

Blue Doll ... Round Blue with mostly blue flesh

Anna’s Gold ………Long pink tubers with yellow flesh

Azul Rose ……Long blue with mostly blue flesh

Boyd Toro Round Red with white flesh

Kern Peaks …….Round light red with light yellow to cream flesh

Oregon Fingerling ………… Long yellow fingerling with cream flesh…occasionally with light yellow flesh

Cieter’s Gold……. Round yellow tubers with deep yellow flesh. Outstanding Diploid flavor

Gold Fremont ……..Oval yellow with light yellow flesh

River John Blue ……..Round blue like All Blue

Tollocan ………..Oval yellow tubers…light yellow flesh ..From Mexico

Sport Blue ………Round shiny blue tubers …blue and white flesh

Mr. Yield ………. Oval white skin light yellow flesh Yukon Gold background

Awol Dude, ………… round red skin deep yellow flesh Dipoid x Tetraploid cross

Mazama Blue…. Round Blue with fairly blue flesh

Minnie’s Pig …….. Round yellow skin pink eye medium yellow flesh Tetraploid x Diploid cross

Granola ……..Oval yellow netted skin, medium yellow flesh …good flavor

Quarter Master ………Round Blue..shiny skin ¼ blue flesh

Boyd Dude ……Round Red with yellow flesh Good flavors

Red White and Blue ……… Mix of all colors in some tubers

Boyko ………Round Red with light yellow flesh’

Crash of 1929 ……..Round red white flesh early

Bolivar …….. Round white frost resistant LB resistant

Azule Rose …….Blue skin and blue flesh

Black Olives …….Named for the appearance of the potato berries. Mix of all colors Diploid

Twelve Thumbs ……Mix of all colors..reds,yellow, and purple Diploid

Alamosa Golds …….Mix whites and yellows with Yukon Gold types prevailing

Star Azul ……Blue tubers with white star in the blue flesh designs.

Khuchi Koochi ……..Mix colors and shapes Pretty flowers Diploid

Yungay…………..pink and yellow splashed skin…light yellow flesh Good flavors

Maris Piper………..white skin and flesh…good for French fries.

Muru………….Mix blue and white skin…same for flesh pretty flowers

With my thousands of different TPS lines I could evaluate most of these over a number of years and streamline the successes for mass production. If one or more areas trialling these TPS lines have a favorite....the marketing of TPS would be much simpler. Selling TPS is one thing...TPS transplants another, but tubers produced from TPS would be the best way to market them.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #10
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Tom, just wow! Those are a lot of very great sounding lines. Being in a very arid area the prospect of drought tolerant plants always interests me. Would these lines also be heat tolerant? I ask because while drought and heat go hand in hand it's not always the case. I like the sound of Quarter Master the most with Skagit Beets and Bolivar a close second and third. Look forward to trying these some day.

Pappi
Old January 12, 2014   #11
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post

I'm a tall white male of European decent, living in San Diego county.

I'm a tall, blond, blue eyed, female living in Mexico and since I am from the U.S. I can be called a Gringa, but not to my face. In Mexico it means SOB.

Europeans and Canadians are not Gringos.

But, on the subject of potatoes, there aren't any good baking type potatoes here that I have found. What bakers grow in an area that doesn't freeze? It is not hot but never freezing.

If you know of some potatoes, who do you know who can smuggle them down to here?
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #12
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Richard aka, (Hermitian)

I have a continuous TPS functioning problem with few tuber line derivatives. Even simpler-er, that means I work with many TPS lines and offer true seed but rarely offer tuber lines. Your mentioning of a double quarantine zone makes it even more difficult to get tubers to you. TPS would be no problem.
Live and Learn.

I went to you site where I learned that TPS means you have potato seeds.

What potatoes will grow in my area of Mexico, not hot but it doesn't get below 45 in the winter? Mexico has a white potato that is thin skinned and tastes OK, but not great for many uses. It has a high starch content. Most of us foreigners miss having good baking potatoes.

I have seeds sent to Texas where they are forwarded to me.
Old January 12, 2014   #13
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axixic View Post
I'm a tall, blond, blue eyed, female living in Mexico and since I am from the U.S. I can be called a Gringa, but not to my face. In Mexico it means SOB.

Europeans and Canadians are not Gringos.
I wouldn't know the meaning in Mexico. As I said, I am of European descent: my father's side went up the Hudson River in 1605 and settled there; my mother's side came to the U.S. from Hungary by different routes early in the 1890's.

Here in San Diego among friends, a Gringo is white guy who can't handle much hot sauce.

Last edited by Hermitian; January 12, 2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: in the
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #14
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

You are a U.S. citizen which makes you a Gringo in Mexico. Gringo is a disparaging term exclusively for U.S. citizens because we interfered with Mexico like invading it. Sometimes Canadians are mistaken for Gringos because Mexicans can't tell us apart. It's easy. Canadians wear shorts in the winter.
Old January 13, 2014   #15
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Not to derail this thread, which should be potatoes- but there is a long thread on the Jaltemba Bay board that disagrees with your interpretation of the word gringo. See especially comments by Harry and Allison, both residents there.
http://jaltemba-bay-mexico.com/index...e-2#entry13368

Maybe it's different for you in Ajijic/Chapala, but here on the coast it's regularily used for anyone north of the border and no one takes offense.

Dee - snowbirding in Lo de Marcos.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote