Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 15, 2014   #16
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Potato Slips in Soil

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AUZZO 15 April 2014 Potting Sweet Potato Slips
Potato slips have roots after four days and were planted into soil in gallon pots, and placed in the greenhouse. The plants were watered from the bottom. They will be transplanted in outdoor garden about the end of May.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #17
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I have grown them from my own stored roots for years now. Generally, when trying a new variety I have gotten it either from Sandhill Preservation or Duck Creek Farms (The two best sources, in my opinion).

This year I got my Oklahoma nursery license and have started raising slips to sell. So far, so good!

I'll try to post some pictures from when I started them to sprout and what they look like now.

Will also post a link to a guide I did, as a hand out.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Before

April 4, 2014

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { } https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20potatoes.pdf
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #18
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

macmex

Nice information. Apparently a small farmer in my area use to grow and sell sweet potatoes from his home. I never encountered local sweet potatoes so this was news to me. I will drive out to the area,since it is reasonably close and see if the farm still exists. I use to think Zone 5 was marginal for growing, so am looking forward to my endeavors this Summer.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote