Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 25, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default White Kennebec Potatoes

I bought some seed potatoes a few days ago. Red La Soda and White Kennebec. I know about the Red La Soda and have seen it spelled Red LaSoda too. I've grown them for years.

White Kennebec, on the other hand, I've only read about. They are used to make frozen French fries and potato chips. I am wondering if any of you have grown them and how to use them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think that is the 50# bag I bought in the Fall. I use them to make mashed potatoes, potato bread and shredded fried potatoes.
Old February 25, 2015   #3
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Kennebec is a good all purpose potato. Above average yield. Search for "Kennebec" without the "white"
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #4
bboomer
Tomatovillian™

Its an awesome variety. I buy a five pound bag at a big box store and harvest a LOT in the fall. They taste great too!
bboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The store I bought the white Kennebec from sells them in three pound sacks for $2.40 So I bought 3 pounds. My rows are 45 foot long. I am thinking I should buy another 3 pound bag to fill the row completely? What do you think?

The Red La Sodas, we plant 1 foot apart in the rows, but we harvest several right after flowering as new potatoes. I like size C best for soup made with slow cooked brisket pieces, pearl onions, celery, tomatoes, etc...

NathanP, I checked them out without the white and did find more results.

Almost forgot to add this: Carolyn, I really like potato bread. We ate some tonight with fried chicken and fried stuffed jalapenos. lol, frying oil overload, but we only do it once a month. The potato rolls came from a large grocery store. I've wanted to know how to make them from scratch. They are my second favorite type of bread and/or rolls, but I need for them to be my favorite because of an allergy test I took. My favorite is Whole Grain Wheat...which I'm allergic to. That test would have been easier to understand if they would have told me what I'm not allergic to.

If any of you would like to post recipes, that would be great. It wouldn't be off-topic to me, and in any thread I make, I don't mind others going off-topic. Sometimes, we learn a lot more by going slightly off topic.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 25, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote