Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 19, 2007   #16
tomatoaddict

This was my first year growing garlic. Planted last October and just harvested two weeks ago. I never knew there was such a vast difference between fresh and store bought. Unbelievable!
I will always grow garlic now. Today I am going to a garlic farm close to my home to see what they have for seed.
Garlic and tomatoes, two of God's greatest gifts.
Old July 19, 2007   #17
veratrine
Tomatovillian™

My favorite garlic-intensive recipe for keeping vampires at bay:

Spice Rub for Grilling

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
9 garlic cloves, pressed
2/3 cup corn oil.

Mix all the spices together. Add the garlic and corn oil, and stir until well combined--it should be a thick paste. Refrigerate until needed. Before use, put a couple of tablespoons on a saucer and nuke it briefly to warm it up. Then rub it heavily on the meat, and let it marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours before grilling.

Great with steak, but a little strong for chicken, I find--makes enough for a whole summer of happy bbqing around our house. This year, I added some smoked paprika, which gave it a nice chipotle sort of taste (some canned chipotles instead of part of the chili powder would probably do the trick, too).
veratrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2007   #18
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Tomatoaddict, Let me know where that garlic farm is, I may want to take a ride on Sunday.

All of my current crop, about 120 head, are descendent's of a single head, unknown variety hardneck, I received about 10 years ago. Had great size last year, smallish this year, but still very usable.

Perhaps we talk a trade, garlic for some toms?
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote